Connecting with MS Exchange

Thread: Connecting with MS Exchange

Unhappy Connecting with MS Exchange

I am working on a workstation at a client location: One stand alone server running Win2k SBS, the only server in an AD domain, that also serves as DC/DNS/DHCP/WINS and Exchange Servers. They use XP Pro four of the workstations, the last running 98SE. All users use Outlook Express to manage e-mail, and Outlook 2003/2000 to use shared calendars/contacts/tasks.

One of the users on a workstation can open Outlook 2003, but when trying to access the shared calendar feature, gets a message: "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online to complete this action."

I am fairly confident that it is something that the user 'fiddled with' as she has a history of reconfiguring things. Exchange and Outlook are not my strongpoint, I would appreciate any assistance that you folks can offer!
    Last edited by jeradsyn; April 2nd, 2005 at 01:32 AM.
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2

Sounds like Outlook is working in offline mode. You should see at the bottom right-hand corner of the Outlook window a message saying "Disconnected" or "Connected". You can right click this and choose the mode you want; in this case obviously "Connected"!

You can also look in the File menu and see if "Work Offline" is ticked; both methods achieve the same thing.

Post back if this doesn't resolve the issue.

emr

In the lower right where the 'connected' message should be, its blank. I don't remember what the 'work offline' checkmark under file menu is, that will be my next step.

If that won't let me connect or go online with the exchange server, I guess that I will try to delete and reconfigure the user on the workstation.

Thanks for the input, emr! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2

Okay, by checking/unchecking the 'work offline' option under the 'Files' menu, I can toggle the message between 'blank' and 'working off-line'. From other workstations, I can get the 'connected' message, but not at my problem child's computer!

Should my next step be to re-deploy Office/Outlook, or delete and add the user back in?

Are there any 'repair' utilities out ther may reconfigure the existing connection?
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2