laptop connects to wireless network, but unable to surf

Thread: laptop connects to wireless network, but unable to surf

laptop connects to wireless network, but unable to surf

I need help! I just got a new Dell laptop with WinXP, It has a Dell Truemobile 1150 wireless card that detects my network and connects. However, when I open IE, I cannot open any sites. I have downloaded a firmware update for my D-Link DI-514 and now I cannot connect with my desktop machine which was running great until now.

How can the computer detect and connect to the network but not allow you to get online? I have jacked with the settings for hours and am thouroghly confussed.

I tried shutting down the firewall and that did not work either.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Munch Man
    I need help! I just got a new Dell laptop with WinXP, It has a Dell Truemobile 1150 wireless card that detects my network and connects. However, when I open IE, I cannot open any sites. I have downloaded a firmware update for my D-Link DI-514 and now I cannot connect with my desktop machine which was running great until now.

How can the computer detect and connect to the network but not allow you to get online? I have jacked with the settings for hours and am thouroghly confussed.

I tried shutting down the firewall and that did not work either.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    Welcome to WinDrivers Munch Man,

Are you using DHCP to assign IP addresses? Open a cmd prompt and type ipconfig /all to see what settings you are receiving from the router DHCP server. Check that the IP address, subnet and gateway are correct.

It sounds to me like the firmware update has screwed the DHCP on the router, maybe reset it to a different range than you were using before.

If you are using static IP addressing then try to ping the router to see if it responds.

I think that D-Link defaults to 19.168.1.0 range and remember having to reconifgure one a while back after a firmware upgrade because it went back to defaults.

emr

you can also set the DNS manually make sure you ping the dns server of your ISP to test if they are working

also test with out the router so we know for sure where the problem is

emr is correct D-link will default on firmware upgrade make sure your wan settings match for your ISP (username? password? DNS ? static Ip assigned by ISP ?)
    also were you cloning your MAC address of your Desktop Machine in the router?

i am working!!!! i checked the ip address et al. and nothing matched. i then went to the d-link website and, based on your recommendations, figured out how to re-config the router.

i cannot thank you all enough. i wish i could offer you the same help you gave me. if anyone needs a car loan or lease, or a used computer, let me know

thanks again