What do you think about the ASUS K8N-DL Extended ATX?

Thread: What do you think about the ASUS K8N-DL Extended ATX?

What do you think about the ASUS K8N-DL Extended ATX?

I am starting to create my hardware list for my next PC. In my opinion the Mobo is a critical part in the proces when you are talking about scalability and upgrading onptions later on.

My pick, for now, is the ASUS K8N-DL Extended ATX. I am planing to use the AMD Opteron processor family. Exactly which one is yet to be determined. I am thinking about Dual Optetron 250, because the FSB on the mobo is 800 Mhz and the upper class Opteron processors are runing Hyper Transport 800 Mhz.

The only thing I am worried about is a Review about the mobo on NewEgg.

This is the review.
    benconsult, 6/9/2005 1:45:35 PM
    Memory Problems
    This MOBO is very picky when you install more than 2 GB RAM. Especially if you use both processors. Make sure us use no more than 4 ranks per processor--- that is, use single ranked RAM if you use 4 dimms for CPU 0, or double ranked if only two dimms. Be very careful because most companies (including NewEgg) don't even list how many ranks their memory has. The ASUS website (and manual!!) doesn't even mention it!

Also use x4 RAM rather than x8 if at all possible.

Also, the K8N-DL will FAIL the Slow POST if you have more than 2 GB -- regardless of memory. All this seems quite buggy -- I expected better from ASUS -- they wouldn’t provide meaningful answers to my repeated emails for help -- just canned responses.

------------------------------

I am looking for a solid PC optimized to last, and still be productive for at least 2-3 years without the need for upgrades.

Please give you comments about this motherboard and my choice processor. If you think something else will work for me better please give your suggestions. Another thing is Video Card. I haven't decided on one. Any suggestions.

Price range is yet undetermined.

Thanks a lot.

Links:
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...59#DetailSpecs

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
    Last edited by peshek77; June 12th, 2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Typos
    If con is the opposite of pro, what's the oppisite of progress?

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python

What will you be using the machine for ? I can't think that joe average at home wants dual socket 939 cpu's.. or are you building in some 'upgrade redundancy' (so you are maybe intending to add a second cpu later ?)

& btw .. I wouldn't take too much notice of 'first reviews' - new chipset means new teething problems .

Exactly what I want. I don't want to HAVE to buy a new machine 2 years from now Just because my mobo will not allow me to upgrade. Mostly games will be the thing that will use the most resources. Also, movie editing will become something more regular when I get my new PC. I can't stand wating on my P4 2.4 Ghz(no HT) to do that for me.

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python

I think buying a high-end PC to avoid upgrading in two or three years is a fallacy today. Buy the machine to do what you want it to do now, and don't worry about three years down the road. By then you can buy a new computer with two or three times the power of anything you can get now for half the money.

Hardware technology is changing very rapidly, and in sometimes unexpected directions. I believe good mid- to upper mid-range hardware is the sweet spot for price/performance. The extra bucks you will pay to be on the cutting edge will be largely wasted because software support for cutting edge hardware is poor. Software always trails hardware.

I guess you are right slgrieb. The last PC I bought - Dimension 2400 for $800 with free 17" LCD. For the same money now I can buy 3 times more powerful machine.

I've been giving a lot of thought to this. As much as I want to have kick-a** machine that will "outshine" everything in a 5-10 miles radius from my house, I'm not sure its worth the money.

But then again, Dual CPUs sounds so SwEeT :_).

-----------

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by peshek77
    I guess you are right slgrieb. The last PC I bought - Dimension 2400 for $800 with free 17" LCD. For the same money now I can buy 3 times more powerful machine.

I've been giving a lot of thought to this. As much as I want to have kick-a** machine that will "outshine" everything in a 5-10 miles radius from my house, I'm not sure its worth the money.

But then again, Dual CPUs sounds so SwEeT :_).
    I was thinking of doing something similar only with the new dual core chips and a Tyan SLI dual socket 940 motherboard. Dual cores, Dual CPU's, Dual Video Cards. If I happen to come accross about $5,000 in the near future that's what I'd spend it on.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

Thats an interesting choice which reminds me. The Tyan motherboard if about $250 MORE. Why is the difference so HUGE?

-----------

If I remember right it has integrated SCSI and SLI. Other than that they are about the same. The Asus board is very tempting alternative though.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

Dual Opteron - perfection on the cheap !!

I have just set up a K8N-DL, and it is a great board. It is bang up to date – with PCI express and SATA2 support from the nVidia pro chipset – and naturally ready for 64 bit computing.

I replaced my dual Athlon set up with this board and am very pleased with the extra performance – which has not been so expensive.

By ignoring the latest CPU’s and fastest memory the cost has been reasonable: -
    - Board GBP200
    - CPU Opteron 244 GBP220 a pair (ebay HP server upgrade part, new)
    - Memory 3GB (6*512) PC2100 ECC GBP120 (ebay HP server upgrade part, new)

With two processors to play with there is simply no need to chase the latest CPU, and memory speed makes little real life difference (see comprehensive comparison here http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...nmemory&page=1 ), and prices are very much lower.
    The board wants memory loaded evenly across the 3 sections (6 slots) – I did this with my 3Gb and have never had a problem, it’s in the manual.

I use a SATA2 80Gb Hitachi (IBM/HGST) Deskstar 7K80 as a boot drive (GBP40), and have two further 250GB Deskstar for storage – and still have 5 SATA connections free !

A new power supply was required – a 650W Silverstone ST65ZF-GM GBP95 does the job. Not the quietest but beautifully made.

No benchmarks but video editing (Canopus Edius) is much smoother and responsive – interestingly DV to MPEG conversion is faster but now uses 60-70% CPU, with dual Athlons it was a constant 95-100%.

Full review of the board here :-www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=asusnf4pro&page=1

Still to come on this board – NUMA support (needs new BIOS release), and it should be capable of handling dual core Opterons (again with BIOS revision) – so when prices drop (a lot) this could become a quad core system – NICE !

So go dual – but do it on the cheap – apart from the board (which I still think is a massive bargin – compare with Tyan !), which will still give lots of easy upgrade potential for years to come…..