Cannot update Microsoft Office 2003
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot update Microsoft Office 2003

Cannot update Microsoft Office 2003

I cannot get updates for my Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Suite. I've tried everything I can think of. I have the installation CD but it was not accepting it when I went to Microsoft Office updates site. I tried using the "FullFiles" but that didn't work. I uninstalled the whole suite and reinstalled. Same course of problems, except this time the window asking to put CD in drive did not come up—I just repeatedly received error message "Installation Unsuccessful."

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    ..it was not accepting it when I went to Microsoft Office updates site...
    Welcome to WD forums Gary. So when you go here (M$ office home) & choose to load the tool that works out what you need update wise (the link that says 'check for updates') .. just what happens next ?, blow by blow please ..

& have you updated whatever operating system this is ? .. there's a new windows installer package out

The Office Updates page comes up, I click on “Check for Updates.” It then finds 5 updates that I need: SP-1 for Office 2003; SP-1 for OneNote 2003; SP-1 for Visio 2003; SP-1 for Project 2003; and Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter.

When I then select “Agree and Install,” it goes through the motions as though installing and then says “Installation Unsuccessful” in red.

The OS Is WinXP Media Center, a fresh install. This is a new system.

Thank you for your help.

Not to be tacky or anything, but is this a legal copy of Office with a valid product code and not one of the many bootlegs floating around? I don't mean to insult you, but lots of companys and organizations don't control their software very well and copies get borrowed. Microsoft has a large database of, ah... bootleg serial numbers, and they will not update. Same goes for many outright pirated editions. Are you sure of your source and have you contacted Microsoft support directly?

I encountered the same thing a couple weeks back. After pounding my head on the wall, I decided to completely uninstall Office (reboot) and re-install it (reboot again). I then downloaded the full version of Office 2003 Service Pack 1, successfully installed that and completed the rest of the updates through Office Update.

If you're feeling particularly brave, you can try manually uninstalling Office 2003 with the instruction found here --> http://blogs.geekdojo.net/john/default.aspx

Good luck!

If you have not been suscessful at fixing this problem, try to download each update individually. I found out last week that I was having the same problem with downloading the updates. It turns out that the junk mail filter download was corrupt on the server and was not downloading. The rest of the updates would download and install fine.

Similar problem with Office 2003 Update

I have similar problems. I have fully legal copies of Windows XP Pro SP2 installed, as well as Office 2003, along with Visio, Project, etc. Windows will update just fine, but Office says:
    Office Update is unable to check for updates Help

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
    There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
    Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
    You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable.

Now, I have just had this problem since I did two things:
    1) Added memory (from 256M to 512M)
    2) Added an 80 G hard drive, and used the manufacturer's software to copy everything from the original 20G drive to the new 80G drive and make it the "boot" drive.

Windows and the programs work OK, but I can't get the Office update to work. I have used "Windows Install Cleanup" program to take Office off and reinstall, but it makes no difference.

Any input appreciated

Welcome to Windrivers tlewis

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer. << Well do you?

There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again. <<< did you try one update (the oldest one first) at a time?

Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance. << did you check for these files?

You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable. <<< have you updated the installer?

Other things to ponder... Does office update download the activex control successfully?
    Have you tried downloading the full service packs as standalones and tried to apply them?
    Are you sure about the legitness (scuze the grammar) of the key/cd you are using?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    ..Are you sure about the legitness (scuze the grammar) of the key/cd you are using?
    .. you may well be in posession of a completely legal serial number/key (I have several clients who've experienced this problem) only to discover that 1/2 the internet are also in possesion of those numbers too & that's why they are blocked ! (If you have receipts etc they'll issue you some new ones)

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers tlewis

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer. << Well do you?

Yes, I am the Adminstrator.

There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again. <<< did you try one update (the oldest one first) at a time?

Tried the oldest update, says can not be applied. Tried other updates, says can not be applied.

Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance. << did you check for these files?

No, I did not check. I contacted support services, just got a link to a 13 step procedure to "fix" the problem.

You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable. <<< have you updated the installer?

Not to my knowledge, how can I check on the version?

Other things to ponder... Does office update download the activex control successfully?

Yes it does. I did find and erase opus.dll, and the activex control did reload before I got the message.

Have you tried downloading the full service packs as standalones and tried to apply them?

No.

Are you sure about the legitness (scuze the grammar) of the key/cd you are using?
    I have purchased the Microsoft Partner program CDs, these are all CDs directly from Microsoft with their own keys, not something I bought off of ebay. And these are NOT the OEM disks either.

Points to emphasize:
    1) The office 2003 programs were installed originally on a 20G hard drive 3 months ago, and updated just fine BEFORE I added Ram and copied the contents of the original harddrive to the new harddrive in recent weeks. I am under the assumption that Windows XP or Office 2003 did not like being copied from one disk to another, even though the programs all run.
    2) I do have other office programs installed, including Visio, Project, etc. The programs run, but the auto update does not work.
    3) All office programs are listed as activated, including Windows.
    4) I uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled, still have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    .. you may well be in posession of a completely legal serial number/key (I have several clients who've experienced this problem) only to discover that 1/2 the internet are also in possesion of those numbers too & that's why they are blocked ! (If you have receipts etc they'll issue you some new ones)
    As noted elsewhere, the CDs were purchased directly from Microsoft, and installed about 3 months ago. The update feature worked up until a couple of weeks ago I installed more RAM, and a new 80G hard drive, which copied the origianl files from the original hard drive. I am under the assumption that Windows and/or Office did not appreciate being copied to a new hard drive?

Chat Moderator

In Method 2, it routes you to a web page to install Windows Script 5.6. To do so, you must go through a "genuine windows" certification process. The problem is that it goes through the process, but the last window says that the microsoft validation site is not available; therefore I can't complete method 2. It does gather all the info on the machine before I get to the window.

Time to call 1-800-RULEGIT and check... mentioning the problem with method 2
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by tlewis
    I have purchased the Microsoft Partner program CDs, these are all CDs directly from Microsoft with their own keys, not something I bought off of ebay. And these are NOT the OEM disks either.

Points to emphasize:
    1) The office 2003 programs were installed originally on a 20G hard drive 3 months ago, and updated just fine BEFORE I added Ram and copied the contents of the original harddrive to the new harddrive in recent weeks. I am under the assumption that Windows XP or Office 2003 did not like being copied from one disk to another, even though the programs all run.
    2) I do have other office programs installed, including Visio, Project, etc. The programs run, but the auto update does not work.
    3) All office programs are listed as activated, including Windows.
    4) I uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled, still have the same problem.

Uhh I have all kinds of hassles with the action pack cds... even had to quote the itty bitty number on the cdrom to the support people. Finally they gave up and sent me a whole new batch.