A+ Cert - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A+ Cert

Actually I got all the Hex and Oct and binary and such figured out and the only thing I lack in (hardware) is processors. To darn many and I hope they have very few questions on it. Hardware is monday and software is friday this coming week. I know all the irq's and com ports and network cable and components and slots in the pc and all that good stuff so I think I'm in good shape. One reason I miss some of the practice test questions is because I pass up the stupid answers because I figure it just can't be that stupid of a answer. I will fill my head all day that day where I have the most difficulty and I will do fine. Then I can let my last brain cell rest on the hardware end and go at it on the software end.

That wasn't on my test either.

Do a few practice tests.... The real tests are 80 questions each so a lot is gonna be dropped in the exam. Be prepared, but don't go thinking 10-20 of those questions are going to be about HEX or CPU detail. A+ wants you to know these things, but CPUs are changing weekly and have more to do with if you can set up a motherboard and identify/troubleshoot than be a detailed quiz.

Even on the Learnkey course, they grill you hard on these things and tell you that you MUST KNOW THEM. Just don't be suprised when you take the test and it glosses right by this stuff.

Well I have the hardware under my belt but I didn't pass with flying colors either. A lot of questions on there I never expected to see and a lot of them the answers were so close to each other it was hard to figure out. Anyway it is done and I passed, barely. 629

That's more than merely passing. Remember that the scoring is really weird. Technologies are going to change, networking, computers, life in general. The fact is, when you pass the CompTIA tests, you pass them. No almosts. For the time and money you invest, that badge is something no one can take away from you.

Two years from now, 30% or more off that exam will be irrelevant to the modern world.

2 days to go for the final test. I'm craming like crazy on OS and doing a lot of the practice tests. I really didn't see a lot of questions on any of these practice tests on the offical tests and they worded things different so experience helps a lot. I did kind of hurry through the hardware test though. I think I finished it in a bout 45min total from sitting down to grabbing my paperwork. I will take more time on this one.

A+ Certified. I was sweaten 50cal bullets and once I started I relaxed a little and passed with a 673. Not good but passed never the less. What would be my next logical step in my quest to further my education and possibly get a job in the field or spread to business type of PC repair. I'm on a local level right now.

I have read some of the comments that an A+ Cert is obtained by memorizing answers and you can pass with no computer repair experience at all but I think if I didn't have the experience I would not of passed it.
    Last edited by Kodiak; August 26th, 2005 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    A+ Certified..
    Nice one ! Congrats etc .. several of these "" due now

..What would be my next logical step in my quest to further my education and possibly get a job in the field or spread to business type of PC repair..

A+ is enough to get you jobs in pc repair or on a hell desk, so maybe start looking now ? (& even with no experience you ought to be able to find something) .. if you want to get something more that can take you onto software support, maybe get an mcp, say the xp one next ? (70-270 - Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional ) as a building block to maybe mcse, or mcsa eventually perhaps ?

Help desk would probably be where I would be looking to go if I went to work for someone else so with that in mind what would be best here? Installing and configuring I have more then enough skills but as far as administering such as policies and such I have a little but not much experience.

At present I have my own small business, in home, and 75% of my skills come from years of experience but I would like to further my education in troubleshooting WinXP/2000/98 so what would be best here? By the way, the other %25 come's from you boy's here and good ole google.

I obtained the A+ to add that experience to my resume and also to my yellow page add as to try and draw in more customers with it. Long story to my situation now but it's enough to say I'm jobless and my small business, was my side business, which now, at my age, no one wants you and my side business has become my only source of income.
    Last edited by Kodiak; August 27th, 2005 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Nice one ! Congrats etc .. several of these "" due now

..What would be my next logical step in my quest to further my education and possibly get a job in the field or spread to business type of PC repair..

A+ is enough to get you jobs in pc repair or on a hell desk, so maybe start looking now ? (& even with no experience you ought to be able to find something) .. if you want to get something more that can take you onto software support, maybe get an mcp, say the xp one next ? (70-270 - Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional ) as a building block to maybe mcse, or mcsa eventually perhaps ?

I did see networking + as a prerequisite to the Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional so maybe this is something I should take. Lot of ways to go here. Thanks for the congrats. It's and accomplishment for an old fart like me that can't remember what I just wrote even. No one step in here and say how easy it was because it wasn't a push over but not bad either. You do need to study and have some experience. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Kodiak; August 27th, 2005 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    ... It's and accomplishment for an old fart like me that can't remember what I just wrote even..
    Lol that rings a bell, if I could remember where it was !

'Ageism' though is a problem you'll encounter in every industry, & once you do reach that 'certain age', just getting through the door to interview can be tough enough .. however I do feel that more & employers are begining to realise that age makes you much less likely to move on as quickly & many employers can see the value in this, especially with 'starter type' jobs (with fast turnover in roles & all the associated 'uptake time' costs), which I guess both 'hell desk' & front line support tend to be, & employers are slowly starting to realise, that getting folks who aren't gonna use their employment as cheap training for their next job, might not be such a bad thing ..

Now this looks somewhat interesting to me and may help me in my business also and if my business dosn't fly them it will also help me get a job.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.asp

There is so much you can do here but my main goal is to help my business most since it appears that no one wants to hire a old man no matter how much experience you have. I have my sign ready just incase I have to hit a onramp and beg for money to support my familly but untill then I will study. I'll have on that sign: DON'T GIVE ME YOUR MONEY, GIVE ME YOUR BUSINESS, I'M AN A+ TECHNITIAN. Anyway, I'm sure whatever will help my business will give me a slightly better chance at getting a job. The 70-270 looks good to.