Non-Product specific sysprep'd image - even possible?

Thread: Non-Product specific sysprep'd image - even possible?

Arrow Non-Product specific sysprep'd image - even possible?

I've been pondering this for a few days. What I'd like to make is a clean install of XP, with all the latest updates and a couple of products installed. But sysprep'd and ready for installation on ANY of our models of PC. I realise that by syspreping the image it should be more or less already at this stage but I was a little worried about it detecting HDD drivers etc.

Has anyone done something like this already? As usual I'm doing this in my own time so I've not had a chance to test the image I've already prepared.

had a look at this?

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Requirements for running the Sysprep tool
    Before you can use the Sysprep tool, your computer hardware and related devices must meet the following requirements: • The reference and destination computers must have compatible HALs. For example, Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC)–based MPS (multiprocessor systems) must use the same APIC HAL. A standard HAL Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC)–based system is not compatible with either the APIC HAL or the MPS HAL.
    • The reference and destination computers must have the same Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) support.
    • The Plug-and-Play devices on the reference and destination computers, such as modems, sound cards, network adapters, and video cards, do not have to be from the same manufacturer. However, the drivers for these devices must be available.
    • Third-party disk-imaging software or disk-duplicating hardware devices are required. These products create binary images of a computer's hard disk and either duplicate the image to another hard disk or store the image in a file on a separate disk.
    • The size of the hard disk on the destination computer must be at least the same size as the hard disk on the reference computer. If the destination computer has a larger hard disk, the difference is not included in the primary partition. However, you can use the ExtendOemPartition key in the Sysprep.inf file to extend the primary partition if it was formatted by using the NTFS file system.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."