AMD based PC cuts out

Thread: AMD based PC cuts out

AMD based PC cuts out

Hi,
    My Nephew has an AMD 64 / 3400 based PC, MOBO is Winfast K8S755a Series.

It starts to boot, but after a few seconds it switches itself off. We have tried a new PSU, reseated the memory and changed the graphics card all to no effect.

We have even tried to run it out of the case with the same result.

The supplier of the bundle has tested the MOBO, CPU and memory and say that there is nothing wrong with any of it.

Can anybody please help

Michael & Anthony.

After further testing and hair tearing, we now believe it to be an overheating problem.
    We managed to get into BIOS/PC Health and every time it switched off the CPU temp read out was 81 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Midon
    We managed to get into BIOS/PC Health and every time it switched off the CPU temp read out was 81 degrees.
    Hi & welcome to wd forums.

So an athlon 64 shouldn't be running at that sort of temperature (mostly at idle I'd expect 40 or so, & btw 70 is about the maximum they should ever be) & your board will be wanting to shut itself down because of this.

But its heating up exceptionally quicky to be not even completing boot, so either the cpu fan isn't turning (but you'd be able to see that when running it outside the case) or maybe the heatsink isn't fully engaged ? (they do take a fair bit of force).

We gave up on it and contacted the supplier who agreed to send a courier to collect it for further testing.

We bought parts locally from Maplin Electronics in Cardiff, built it without any problems, after eight hours (installing WinXP, other software, internet browsing & general use) we rebooted the PC. The PC Health in the BIOS reported temperature of 43 degrees. Now two weeks later the PC is running well.

My nephew has informed me the suppliers of the original bundle have conceeded that there was indeed an overheating problem and have refunded his money.
    Michael

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, Midon. At least it wasn't anything that you'd done wrong.