Single or Dual Channel Mode? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Single or Dual Channel Mode?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    What does the motherboard manual say about dual channel availability?

Isthis your motherboard?
    Yes, this is.
    Manual says
    "Please note that the system will support dual channel DDR when u install DDR modules on DIMM1 and DIMM3, or DIMM2 and DIMM3."
    I have done this(2X256 in slots 1,3) The major question now is this: If i also put another one of 512 in slot 2 (1GB totally), this means i cancel the dual channel mode?

Yes... the dual channel has to be pairs - hence the word dual. Now whether the bios confirmation text about dual channel is correct, is another problem altogether.

According to the last post on page 2 of this thread, it is possible that the 2x256 will run in dual channel in slots 1 and 3, while the 512 will run in single channel mode.... this means the message about dual channel is correct - but only about the 2x256.

I wonder if you have a 256 in slot 1 and the 512 in slot 3 and leave the slot2 blank for the moment, if the bios will run dual channel despite mismatched sizes.

Interesting - when I can afford a new mobo with dual channel, I will have a play and find out.
    Last edited by NooNoo; November 3rd, 2005 at 05:06 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I wonder if you have a 256 in slot 1 and the 512 in slot 3 and leave the slot2 blank for the moment, if the bios will run dual channel despite mismatched sizes.
    Yes, I have tried that already. Pc again tells me in starting screen that I have dual channel.

But how can i know, in any case, if really i have dual ch.mode? Is there any test to find out?

memtest86+ Note this is built on the original memtest86. memtest86+ is designed to deal with new hardware and will report number of channels.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by alexis_
    Yes, I have tried that already. Pc again tells me in starting screen that I have dual channel.

But how can i know, in any case, if really i have dual ch.mode? Is there any test to find out?
    Well, I/we don't know alexis. Do YOU see any difference? Are you happy with the performance of your pc? Nowadays, if you're looking for "proof" that your pc is top end stuff, then you can only run benchmarks to compare the before-after. Why? Because EVERY step up in price performance is sooo much less then it was years ago. I mean, HOW much faster than fast can a program open up and run? How much faster can picture or whatever load?
    So...are you happy with the performance? Do YOU think there was any improvement? Sitting here on the internet, reading what you write, won't give us any clue! You tell us!!!
    Do you want some benchmark utilities to compare stats?
    Better yet: YOU tell us if you are happy with the expense/upgrade.