hi. has anyone tried skype beta 2.0, the version that offers video chat? i'm not sure if it's a bug, but i had conflicting experiences with it lately.

the first time i installed it on a laptop (ecs, pentium 4, 256mb, winxp-sp2, with genius webcam), it worked when i 'called' a nearby desktop pc (pentium 4, 256mb, winxp-sp2, no webcam). the image captured by the webcam was shown in both skype's of the 2 machines. both machines ran the skype 2.0 beta version.

but one day later, when a colleague called up a friend in another city (the friend was running a pentium 4 pc, 256mb, winxp; not sure if it was sp1/sp2; also with skype 2.0 beta), we couldn't get the video going. it was my colleague's friend who had the webcam, and we couldn't see her. we had no webcam at the office that time.

we checked if firewalls could have caused a problem. from our end, i am assuming that since skype worked when i first tested it on our office pc and the laptop, it had gone around the office's network firewall (and through both machines' software firewalls, zonealarm 6 in both cases).
i advised my colleague's friend to check her firewall settings, she said she had only windows firewall running. we tried making exceptions of skype but still no dice.

if it's a bug in skype, i'd appreciate knowing if anyone else had a similar experience. if it's a matter of adjusting the firewall settings, i'm open to suggestions. thanks!