CPU cooling...question

Thread: CPU cooling...question

CPU cooling...question

short of a water cooler, what is better (fan and heat sink) than Intel's solution on an LGA 775 mobo?

I don't have any personal experience with that mobo but perhaps another member does. In any case, here are a few possible solutions:

http://www.pctoys.com/840556021407.html

http://www.sundialmicro.com/Intel-Pr...lers_1740.html

http://www.isitoday.com/cgi-bin/isi/CL-RR-LCH-P9E1.html

Good luck please let us know how you make out.

Which board do you have?

Though it may sound rediculous, this question is very dependent on what board and case you have... I'm using the Asus PGGDC with a 3.0GHz Presscott OC'd to 3.23GHz and I am only using the fan from Intel. Of course, this board has an on-board cooling thing that drops CPU temps about 10 C without doing anything and I am using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste between the CPU and Heat Sink.

I can tell you this much: It is a good idea for you to replace the thermal pads usually used from the factory because they are just not as good. Switching to something like Arctic Silver 5 will drop your temps by 5 to 10 C depending. Also, don't let anyone talk you into using Ceramique (there' s
    a reason it sounds like "ceramic". Damn near impossible to break the seal later if you use this crap.)

Also, as far as case is concerned, some cases for the LGA 775 (like mine) are designed with a small tube on the inside of the case that is screwed to the side of the case and protrudes over to about 1/2" above the cpu and fan. This tube is narrow on the case, then widens out to the width of the fan at the end nearest the CPU. What this does is force about 99% of the air the fan pulls in to be directed directly onto the CPU. Believe it or not, this actually makes the case cool better with the case closed than with leaving it open. I say believe it or not because in all of my past experiences, opening up the case lead to a cooler machine since it gave a quick escape for the heat that would build up.

I would suggest you go to http://www.overclockers.com and look at what these guys have chosen as their solutions. These guys are extreme OCers and have to have the best.

Anyway, to reitterate the key points: Good Case + Good Mother Board + Good Thermal Paste is a key factor in the question you want to answer. After that, i'd say look around. I've heard the ASUS Arctic Freezer (or something like that) is a good fan (though big). I've also noticed that
    ThermalTake (who has several good heatsink/fans) has come out with
    a FANLESS heatsink. If you hate loud fans, you should try this one out.
    If you've got a space for a 120mm fan in your case, get the Vantec Stealth
    120mm silent fan. Moves about 56 cubic feet of air per minute and is
    very very quiet (I have one on mine and it works flawlessly). And, although
    silent, this fan uses 2 ball bearings. This is important because a LOT of
    fans out there use sleeve bearings which are silent but wear out in about
    1/10th the time. Make sure your fans have ball bearings.

Any way, I hope this helped you. Out of curiosity, can you tell us what temps you are getting right now and what your current setup is (MB, Case, etc.)?

The Intel 775 cpu's run HOT!

Heat-pipe + decent fan + decent case fans intake and exhaust is the answer - the problem is in fitting the various giants into the various cases with the various mobo's.

You will have to research your specifics and then decide.

No simple solution available I would think.

all's peachy so far....got a better cooling solution (not to mention a better mounting system than Intel offers) with a Thermaltake heatpipe type mother! Ha! only drawback is...you must remove the MOBO from the case in order to install it.....guess one can't have everything huh ? thank you guys for your input.

Asus mobo P5WD2...at idle...
    CPU temp is 43-44 degrees C

MoBo temp is 39 degrees constant....is this good or bad? What would be better, if any, parameters?

You are good.