Linux and Anti-Virus

Thread: Linux and Anti-Virus

Linux and Anti-Virus

Hi,

I just set up an Ubuntu 6.x box as public/open websurfing computer for a company that had wanted me to install an illegal copy of Windows 98. The Ubuntu box is behind a router on a different Internet pipe from the company network, as separate and segregated as can be. Only two people, including me, know the root password.

What are the hazards of running a public Ubuntu box without real time (expensive) anti-virus software?

Thanks.

I'm a very long way from being a Linux geek, but you should be spared all the Windows virus/spyware troubles. As far as I know, there are only a handful of Linux viruses around. Hackers are another matter, but Linux is alleged to be more secure out of the box than Windows.

Article from 2004

Some free AV progs for Linux (free for home/non-commercial use).

Avast free for Linux

BitDefender free for Linux

Clam free for Linux

F-Prot free for Linux

I hope this helps
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for the reply.

Most of the freeware anti-virus software for Linux is of a "command line" "on-demand" rather than a real-time type -- its use, updating and scanning, requires a greater deal of competence and dilgence than one can reasonably expect from most users -- unlike Windows's "set-it-and-forget-it-type" anti-virus offerings.

Much anti-virus software for Linux seems geared to scanning files passing through SMTP gateways, mail servers, file servers, web servers, etc, in order to protect Windows clients using these resources.

There is anti-virus software for Linux desktops which claims to be real-time but it is not free.

What I am wondering is if anti-virus software for a Linux desktop is even necessary. Other than trying to install, update and run Panda's freeware offering on one of my old Red Hat boxes, I have sallied forth on my Linux boxes (Suse, Red Hat, Ubuntu) out into the wild web without any anti-virus software, and to the best of my knowledge I have never been compromised.

[edit: interesting stuff I found -- see here: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...876#post626876 ]
    Last edited by houseisland; July 18th, 2006 at 11:50 PM.