Can't remote desktop anymore - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can't remote desktop anymore

This information is great guys,but tell me this. I made a static ip address 192.168.1.70 and i forwarded the port 3389 in router and disable all my firewalls. Why is it that i can only remote connect to the desktop with the static ip 192.168.1.70 within the router network, and when i try to remote connect from somewhere outside my network it doesnt work?

I suppose that like NooNoo said, you are trying to reach a static IP within a LAN from a WAN.

If you indeed disabled your firewalls and port 21 is open, just try connecting to your ISP assigned IP address (which can be found in the router management screen).

I strongly suggest to use security measures asap - your netwrok is very exposed (assuming that you are allowing free access to port 21)

You have a public IP and a private one, one of the router's job is to translate requests on the public ip and route it to the appropriate private ip...

Within the network the router (depending on how it's set up) will forward between the private ips.... Think of the router as a hallway... the public ip at the front door and rooms off the hall as private. People living in the rooms do not want to be bothered to go to the front door if it is not for them... So if you want to get to room A, you have to tell the router that if a person rings on the front door with a particlar bell (port) then the requests should be sent to room A
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

So i need to change the static ip 192.168.1.70 back to the original ip assigned by comcast and then forward port 3389 (remote) to that original comcast ip?

Comcast... is a cable company, so you may have a static ip. I'm betting that IP never changed... but you were confused between public and private.

The router knows (or should do) your public IP. It has also discovered your private IPs of the computers on your home network. All you have to do is look up the IP of the computer that is running filezilla server and tell the router that IP along with the port you wish to use for FTP purposes. The router will take care of the rest.

Then you will ftp into your filezilla server with the router making sure that the traffic arriving at your public ip is routed to the correct private IP.

have you seen this?
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 17th, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

what do i do about my remote desktop problem? i can only connect within my network with 192.168.1.70. How can connect back to that computer if im outside my router network?

Again you need to forward the port on which you connect with remote desktop. In the router setup you enter the IP of the machine you want to remote desktop to and the port on which you will make contact. more details here

Now the thing is you have chosen ftp to be 3389 which is remote desktop's default port. Assuming that both filezilla and remote desktop access are on the same machine, you should not use the same port.

Im trying use remote desktop to get into the computer with the static ip 192.168.1.70 from outside the network. I can use remote desktop to get into the router network, but i can't get into the computer with remote desktop using static ip 192.168.1.70 from outside the network. Should i erase the static ip and go back the comcast assigned ip and forwarded that to port 3389 so i can access my home computer from anywhere?

OK.

Your public IP is the number you should put into the remote desktop screen when you are at work. That gets you to the router... the router then should transfer the information to the correct private IP because you told the router the private IP and port of the machine to which you want to connect.

Please read the links I gave you.

Let me see if im understanding you right. My public ip is my router ip 192.168.1.2 or is it my comcast given ip **.***. And is my private ip the static ip i made 192.168.1.70?
    I have 3389 forwarded to 192.168.1.70. Is that correct?
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 18th, 2006 at 05:36 AM.

Your public ip is the one that comcast gave you.

Your private ips can be static or dynamic depending on how you have set up the network.
    The router has an ip - usually 192.168.x.1 and is usually static
    The pcs each have their own ips. However any pc that is acting as a server should be given a static IP.

To ascertain whether it is static or dynamic on a given PC:
    Go to control panel
    Double click Network Connections
    Right click the network connection for your local area connection, select properties
    In the window that opens scroll down to Internet Protocal (tcp/ip) and click it once then click the properties button below.

In the window that opens there are two radio buttons near the top
    The first is "obtain an IP address automatically"
    the second is "use the following ip address"

If the second radio button is selected the next 3 line should have numbers in
    IP address, Subnet and Gateway - Please post those numbers

If the first is selected, then you have not set a static ip.

You cannot have the ftp and the remote desktop on the same port on the same machine.

If you have indeed set a static ip of 192.168.1.70 and have forwarded it correctly, then requests for port 3389 will be forwarded to that pc by the router.

The router should be 192.168.1.1 not .2 ... which pc or device is 192.168.1.1?

I changed the router ip to 192.168.1.2. I can change it back if thats what hindering me. so when im work what ip should be putting into remote desktop 192.168.1.70 or the comcast given ip cause 192.168.1.70 isnt working for me when im away from home?

set the router to 192.168.1.1

What IP is the computer you wish to remote to?
    What subnet
    What gateway

I have asked you for this information before.

You need to use the comcast IP as I have already said

Are you sure you know what the comcast ip is? did you go to whatsmyip.org I linked you to?

I appreciate all your help noonoo. I feel like ive been a pain in the behind. I even been talking to linksys and they cant help me. If you can get me up and running ill appreciate it.Its just really important me that i has access to my home computer at all times. my comcast ip is **.**. This is the computer i need to connect to. How can i forward this comcast ip when my router only accepts forwarding ips starting with 192.168.1.?
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 19th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.

ok

the router already knows what your public ip is... assuming the modem is plugged into the wan port of the router...

the router has it's own ip of 192.168.1.1
    your computers have ips
    the router takes the request from the public ip and forwards it to the private ip

if your public ip is 133.133.133.133
    and your server private ip is 192.168.1.3
    and your router ip is 192.168.1.1

and the port you wish to use for your server (whether it be ftp or remote desktop or other server it doesn't matter) is say 3389
    then the router needs to know that requests it receives on the comcast ip for port 3389 need to be forward to the private ip of 192.168.1.3

If you wish to run another server on the same machine, provided the port is different you can forward to the ip with the different port number.

So when you want to remote to your desktop across the internet from your office, you type in the public ip - the comcast ip which in my example is 133.133.133.133. The router forwards port 3389 (which is remote desktop) to 192.168.1.3

If you want remote desktop within your network then you use the private ip of 192.168.1.3 because you are not going across the internet.

The router routes information from the internet (wan) port to your private pcs. Every network device has an IP. Every internet address has an ip.