Remote Software
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote Software

Remote Software

I'm thinking about adding remote assistance to my bag of repair options for my clients and was wondering what everyone uses for this? I need to be able to do file transfers, shut down and restarts. This will be only for broadband users. I can see that for most you are charged a monthly fee. This would be for just random clients and something I can offer as an alternative to going on site. Also need to be able to charge them and what an reasonable price would be and how to go about charging?

I do a $25.00 for the first 15 min, then $15.00 per 15 min increment with a $25.00 minimum. After 5pm or weekend/holiday support it doubles. $25 extra for big file transfers. I use PCanywhere and sometimes Remote Desktopwith the XP sites

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Don't bother paying for PCAnywhere - I use Ultra VNC, it has file transfers, data encryption, etc. and its open source, so its completely free

I charge my remote clients $25 to connect and anything that lasts for over 15 minutes I then charge $10 an hour less than my standard hourly rate since I don't have to travel.

I have used tightvnc and remote desktop however what I'm looking for is something that needs no port forwarding. I want to be able to connect to any PC anywhere at any given time and do system cleanups and analysis's. I have called tech support for some software issues and they just connect right to your pc and fix the issue. A little interaction from me but not port forwarding or anything. Average client won't be able to do this. I believe pcanywhere needs prots forwarded and the host installed on the client. Same with ultra vnc however I have never used it so I may be wrong there.

UltraVNC has the ability to do all you want I think.

Parismouton was messing around with it a few months ago and all I had to do was download a file from a link he provided and then he had remote on my pc.

I'll talk to him and see if he can shed any more light or he may still read new posts at WD and come back at you himself. (If he isn't too pissed that is).

emr

sorry, my bad.i be drunk again
    anyway, ultravnc really really does the biz.

i woulD love To explAin how good it is, but i have been drinking allnight....

MoutonParis,
    or is it
    Parismouton???

Quote Originally Posted by parismouton
    sorry, my bad.i be drunk again
    anyway, ultravnc really really does the biz.

i woulD love To explAin how good it is, but i have been drinking allnight....

MoutonParis,
    or is it
    Parismouton???
    When you wake up tomorrow morning with a terrible hangover will you explain how it is done please?

Please don't choke on your own (or someone else's) vomit in the middle of the night, otherwise we will never know.

Remember, you can't dust for vomit.

emr

I would be interested in hearing about it myself. Thanks. Hey this new firefox is great, it corrects my spelling. At least it puts a red line under it if it is incorrect.

Why not just sign up for a Webex account or something of the sorts.. Webex is awesome. The money you charge your clients will more than make up for the costs of webex... No software needed by you or your clients.. just a browser. I believe there is something similar by citrix as well.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician

Looks like a nice little program and I followed the steps but it will not let me upload the helpdesk.txt and create the server for me.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    Looks like a nice little program and I followed the steps but it will not let me upload the helpdesk.txt and create the server for me.
    Right click where it says "download a copy here" and choose save target as, then click save.

Try this:
    http://sc.uvnc.com/index.php?section=14
    Sergeant WOTPP

I use LanDesk Instant support. I bill my cleints $50 vs $60 for onsite and break it down into 15 minute blocks vs 1 hour blocks. Chris P.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    I just found this the other day on a tech news site I visited. I use UltraVNC already, but this makes it even more awesome - it reall is the cats meow

Have been playing around with it for the last few days. Just used it to sort out a client who was having problems; he was in a hotel in Instanbul. Worked perfectly.

Nice and simple to configure the .exe package and I love the ability to brand it with your company logo and text.

emr