Spyware etc. Programs an eventual scam?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spyware etc. Programs an eventual scam??

We may have met a common ground sir.

I agree with the information age statement to some degree Ferrit. May I just add that there are many many people getting away with multiple frauds and such. I believe "big player" companies can get away with and cover up much better than say a hoax company that has developed itself overnight and scamming a multitude of first time clients. Or maybe not because they do it so well and vanish the company after making a satisfing amount of cash in a virtual system stance. It may sound contradictive but there is an exception to every rule.
    The problem with the company that replied to my ticket is that they sent one reply stating there is no fix. I continued on leaving my ticket open because they suggest you close the ticket once a response has been sent regardless of a fix. Now I defied that ticket rule and remained leaving it open. The sale pitch came to me the next day or so telling me to update for money and there is a fix. Now the day after that the ticket I had left open sent a new response somewhat different from the first stating that there is still no fix and to get further tech support- it may take 2-3 weeks for my issue to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Not an unusual occurence sending samples or posting a ticket about it and a short time later they can clean it. Thats a common theme with spyware and antivirus. Now i Have seen many types of spyware removal programs that fail on one type but get another type of bug
    Hence why 1 is never ever a silver bullet. You need at least 2 different ones.
    Also there are a lot of bogus spyware removal programs out there.
    A perfect example of this is WinantivirusPro. Nothing more then fake spyware removal asking for money to buy the program to remove non existant spyware.
    Also I have seen where 1 program cleans a version of spyware IE: winfixer 2005 and the very same program couldnt touch winfixer 2006
    The very reason is the same reason antivirus companies can clean some viruses and not others.
    Something has to be added to the program to get the lil buggers.
    Now all that being said. If an antivirus company were ever to be found to be shall we say abiding virus writers. Well their career or buisness would be over on the internet.
    No company would survive that in this age of information on the internet

So who is this company that wants you to upgrade?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes I also would like to know exactly who this company is
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Sorry, took me a while..

Guys I'd rather leave the companies name out as you can tell I have chosen to do so already. I don't want anything created of this without my control. A sites content gets around fast (ahem..google) Lets just say I will continue to take it up with the company themselves, they have already offered compensation, but its not about that to me. I'm hoping to see the standards of the company rise.

How can the company improve if it doesn't know it has a problem?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

All I can do is my part.

Microsoft Defender is free. I am not sure if it is the greatest malware, adware,
    removal tool. I am trying it out

I haven't paid for an antivirus program for years. And seriously, I haven't had a single spyware problem since I stopped using internet explorer.

Joecomp, does your program appear in this Hall of Shame?
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

I know a programmer that uses absolutely no anti-virus, anti-spy etc. programs on his personal computer system. He just hovers files that may be of question. Seems to work for him. I don't personally have time to do the maintenance it would take to keep a system clean. Plus having a system up and running 24/7 online can be a little risky when not attended.
    As for the hall of shame question, no the program I had was actually a fairly commercial one. I have discontinued use of the program and received my full refund by the company. I now stick to extermal hardware system controls (firewall etc.)
    Here is the most recent item I have read a little about >>>
    I may set this one up for a friend of mines personal computer, seems interesting may be worth a try.
    More info about product http://northbridgesystems.com/ or http://alphashield.com

Thought you may like to know that when my mother now 85 was asked some years ago why she doesn't hook up to the internet and keep in touch with people via email, she remarked "Oh no! I have heard there are thousands of viruses on the internet and at my age I have to be careful not to catch those things"

Another scam which may be of interest:- a few months ago I was told I could download free 'Limewire' so did a web search located a link which led me to a form to fill out that led to another asking me did I want to pay so much for one months use or so much or 3 months or a bargain price for 12 months use. Initially I thought that the free download must have expired. But I phoned the friend who told me about it and she said that was not so it was free. I then hooked up onto another link from the search engine list which was the real one and downloaded it for free. Low and behold when I went to download Adobe reader for my daughther whose new computer had not had it installed yet the first on the search engine list took me to the very same forms asking for the same amount of money for the download. Knowing it was free I downloaded from the next link which was the real one.

A pretty good scam - there must be a lot of people, who like my initial reaction, thought that the free period of download had expired. What a great way to get some money for nothing. There are some low types out there - sad isn't it?

Your search engine had been hijacked then... Hope it doesn't still happen.

No it doesn't still happen, it only happened on those two occassions and come to think of it on my daughters computer around last Christmas. maybe they were caught up with and put out of business.