Joining a domain error

Thread: Joining a domain error

Joining a domain error

An Attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed.

XP machines join just fine. I have also turned off it's firewall and AV just in case.
    I have also, on the server and Vista box, set static ip with the DNS settings and also set it to obtain auto. I have turned off the firewall on the Vista box and turned of its firewall. I have tried to join the domain in the admin account also. I have googled this and it's a problem all over. Does anyone here know of anything else I can try. I can ping the server and I can access it through network places with the same user and pass I'm trying to join the domain with.

Also the server is not set to be the DNS or DHCP server. I'm letting the router take care of this. Is the router maybe blocking Vista in some way. This is a Actiontec M1424WR router.
    Last edited by Kodiak; May 12th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    An Attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed.

XP machines join just fine. I have also turned off it's firewall and AV just in case.
    I have also, on the server and Vista box, set static ip with the DNS settings and also set it to obtain auto. I have turned off the firewall on the Vista box and turned of its firewall. I have tried to join the domain in the admin account also. I have googled this and it's a problem all over. Does anyone here know of anything else I can try. I can ping the server and I can access it through network places with the same user and pass I'm trying to join the domain with.

Also the server is not set to be the DNS or DHCP server. I'm letting the router take care of this. Is the router maybe blocking Vista in some way. This is a Actiontec M1424WR router.
    Primary DNS must be the server.

Is this a Vista thing because XP machines join just fine?
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Try turning off IPv6 and leave on only IPv4 (standard TCPIP) and see if it works then. If not, try manually entering the IP address of the DNS server.

EMR I think this is what you was saying and it worked. I set a static IP on the server and set the dns to the router then set a static on the Vista box and set the preferred dns as the servers ip and all is well. So it must be a Vista issue because xp doesn't need to be done this way. Thanks guys.