sharing email

Thread: sharing email

sharing email

Hopefull this is a simple question. I have a desktop computer (WinXP) and a laptop PC (Vista) that I would like to share email between on a simple home network. I currently use Outlook Express for email (on the XP machine). If I upgrade to a better email program (Outlook, or anything else), is there a way that I could download email from either machine to a shared database? Same question goes for address book etc.

I've thought about just not downloading the email from my ISP server - but they don't offer a lot of room, so I get nasty grams from them all the time.

The perfect situation would be I could fire up the email program on either PC and see all messages in both places.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The only way to do that is to have some sort of email server (which your isp has). ISP mailboxes are getting better at space - what ISP do you have?

There are some 3rd party programs that allow you to share the files in which the emails are kept locally, but I haven't used any so I don't have a recommendation for that.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have broadband through Time Warner Cable. They offer fairly good email server space, but I get some larger audio files emailed to me - and they don't support enough space for that.

I was obviously hoping for some software that would do this without an email server. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it - and the search with continue.

Thanks again.

One possibility would be saving the emails as files in a shared folder. You wouldn't have shared access to all your email, but you would have easy access to important ones.

Not exactly what you think of - but you might want to consider-
    Why not using Web based Email? there are doesns of services (some free some not).
    For instance - Try http://mail.nanaportal.com/?rl=en - where you have Outlook Web access interface and 3GB of storage.

Gmail is also good...

But if you want to work on "real" outlook - try
    http://www.publicshareware.com/

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence