Acer Notebook Aspire 5672WLMi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Acer Notebook Aspire 5672WLMi

Acer Notebook Aspire 5672WLMi

I am trying to restore my own Notebook, Aspire5670, from the re-stroe cd/dvd I made a while ago, when this thing was new. It is asking me for a password, I don't remember if I set a password or not. I have tried all of the obvious onee I use including leaving it blank. It only give me 3 tries then I have to reboot.
    I tried Acer Tech Support, its web site for US customer is down for maint, for sometime now. I remember satisfaction, waaaay back dealing with Acer Tech support, now it stinks, all of the phone #s I have are disconnected.
    Customer service going down steadily ever since they start setting up service center off shores. I remember talking to someone in Costa Rica few months ago, the guy was friendly and knowledge able once I was able to communicate with him. What this world coming to???? Sorry for the rant, I am also in customer service and I can say that our department suxxx for sure.
    Can some one help? With my Recovery problem!
    Thanks.
    Yahoo! Rocks...Goodbye Google THE Privacy Pirate!

Is this the bios password, the hard drive password or the Windows password?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Dealt with the Canadian one recently a number of times for different issues and they are quick and very helpful
    I sell a fair number of acer laptops
    You might try them for some info
    Technical Support, Warranty, Spare Parts and Service
    English: (800) 816-2237
    Tel: (800) 565-2237 or (905) 755-7570
    But I don't know of any password unless you set a password
    As NooNoo said what password is this?
    Last edited by Ferrit; September 4th, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

It asks for a recovery password!

Here's what happens: upon re-boo it says its entering a system recovery mode thenI get a prompt to enter the recover system password and I thoght it must be my windows log on password but its not. What I think is that it must have asked me to set a pssword when I was making this recovery CD and I am pretty sure that I did not set a password b/c if I had I should have written it on the CD, since its my own.
    Anyway, I have tried all the password, bios, windows and anyother that I could think of.

It is a special recovery password, you must have created it when you did the restore cds because it won't let you continue without it... read here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks!

I found a way to get out of the mess. My problem with Autorun.inf (a virus that disable "open" and "explore" choices out of any write able media) remains.
    I updated Norton but it still does not see it. As I said before only McAfee enterprise version detect and delete it.
    Any suggestions?

Boston, you typed in somewhat of a hurry... delete the virus in autorun.inf? It depends which virus it is... do you know?

YESS..it is virus

Sorry! Yes it is a virus/worm. It disable open and explore (replaced with garbled text) from the pull-down menu, essentially disabling double click function on the HD. Norton does not even detect it and when I used McAfee enterprise version (on my USB) it immediately detected it as Autorun.inf and deleted it without any input from me.
    I still have the virus on my external HD. If I plug in this HD into my laptop it will infect the laptop HD again.
    I did not want to bring the HD here at work to use the McAfee enterprise version.
    Any suggestions?

So you have Norton on the Laptop.... ok.

McAfee Stinger for RJUMP worm is what I think you need. There are a few viruses that use autorun.inf, but hopefully Rjump is what you have.

Check the McAfee Enterprise log to see what it called it when it cleaned it up...?

Heres what it says on the McAfee log..

"C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE F:\AutoRun.inf Generic!atr (Trojan)
    9/1/2007 11:43:44 AM Deleted NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe E:\Autorun.inf Generic!atr (Trojan)"

I will check out what you suggested.
    Thanks.

OK, you could delete this by hand
    Turn off system restore, go into safe mode and just search for all autorun.inf in system and hidden files as well then remove them.

The only autorun.infs I have are in directories which are copies of entire driver cds

Thanks.

Will do.

Hi NooNoo,
    I deleted ALL the Autorun.inf files but I still have that virus and of course I could not use the McAffe utility to kill it b/c it only works if you have McAfee installed, which I do not.
    Any other ideas?

Have you tried housecall.trendmicro.com ? It's online and free... If not, you can download avast and the updates manually and then do a dos scan after installation. Norton should know this one, maybe you have other problems as well which have disabled norton...

Yes, I have scanned the drive using house call, no luck. Maybe there are other problems, but I dont know what it is. Is it possible that the bug has messed up the pull down menu and that part of the windows needs to be fixed? As I said earlier that all this bug does, that I know of, is replaced Open and Explore command with garbled up text!
    It is frustrating that I can not fix my own problem!