The eternally reoccuring question!

Thread: The eternally reoccuring question!

The eternally reoccuring question!

I'm sure this has been asked before, wait I KNOW this has been asked before.
    And because of that I am reluctant to ask

But which A+ book would most of you recommend, I plan on ordering it from amazon with some other books I need. I'm sorry for asking such a common question but I felt I had too.

Well, Loopy, here's an answer you've heard before. I don't know. When I did the A+ materials, I used Sybex books. Well, scrolls, actually. But technology has changed a lot since then. and I don't think you are currently tested on the voltage produced by immersing a copper plate and a lead plate in a jar of goat urine.

So, I would go with MS Press. There have been many times over the years that I bitched because some of the info in Microsoft's books should have been included in the manuals, but I have always found any materials from MS Press to be clear, accurate, and authoritative. In 25+ years, I've never been disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Well, Loopy, here's an answer you've heard before. I don't know. When I did the A+ materials, I used Sybex books. Well, scrolls, actually. But technology has changed a lot since then. and I don't think you are currently tested on the voltage produced by immersing a copper plate and a lead plate in a jar of goat urine.

So, I would go with MS Press. There have been many times over the years that I bitched because some of the info in Microsoft's books should have been included in the manuals, but I have always found any materials from MS Press to be clear, accurate, and authoritative. In 25+ years, I've never been disappointed.
    lol, goat urine. By the way what is the amount of voltage produced?

I'll have to take a look at that book series, the one I was looking at which ranked high on amazon's list was this one http://amazon.com/dp/0072263113/ref=...pf_rd_i=507846

Well the author has written 42 books so far... the reviews are somewhat mixed.

Before you go buy anything, go to a real bookshop and look at them.

One message is clear, there is not one book that is "best".
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

On the goat urine question, the correct answer is 4.67V, though more frequently watered goats produce somewhat lower voltages, while those from more more arid environments may reach 6.31 volts. Those goats frequently succumb to renal failure.

Generally, I tend to go with books from publishers who are focused on the computer industry. Meyers put me off a bit with his preface which explained why you should care about A+. Hell! Explain to a baker why he needs flour! Any textbook is going to be imperfect, but I think most books will be adequate, and the practice tests are good prep.

I'll definitely go to a book store, what are the key points I should be looking for in an A+ study book?

I think most will cover the material adequately, so look for a style that seems clear and won't put you to sleep. Practice tests are a must. You just have to take the plunge at some point. A bad decision can often be made to succeed with enough effort, but prolonged indecision while you search for a perfect solutions gets you nowhere. See also: a lousy plan is better than no plan.

Check out the amazon shops as well, you can pick up 2nd hand versions of very expensive books for a song...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."