Printer Networking Pain.

Thread: Printer Networking Pain.

Printer Networking Pain.

I have a usb hp 7760 printer connected to windows xp home computer using a linksys wireless g usb adapter to connect to a linksys wrt300n wireless n router.I am trying to share this printer with my compaq presario f500 laptop which uses the Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN.
    i have tried evey thing, but the laptop can not see the printer on the xp computer.
    both computers are using windows firewall, have same workgroup names, and the xp rig has sharing enabled .
    i can really use a step by step guide to finally get this this printer on the network. TIA!

Is the printer shared? Can you see any other share on the "server" PC?
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

What operating system are you running on the laptop? Versions of Windows prior to XP often have trouble with the printer names XP prefers to use for shared printers. Have you tried just changing the share name to something like "HP"?

sorry bout that....i have windows vista on the laptop.....i might add that i wa s using a different d link router, wireless -g with the printer share sometimes working but mostly not. i thought an upgrade to wireless n would improve things....guessed wrong.

also,I can see both the laptop and my xp computer on my xp machine, and on the vista laptop i can see the vista computer, and the wireless router on the network, but no xp computer.

Interestingly vista won't in my experience... what you have to do is in the run command type in the share you want to get at - eg. \\nameofXPmachine\printerShareName
    it will think about that for a while and then let you connect IF you have a profile on the XP machine already set up. So if you can logon to the XP machine with the same user name and password as you use on the Vista, you can do that.

If you don't use passwords, this is likely to be the problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."