[RESOLVED] NT Server Upgrade

Thread: [RESOLVED] NT Server Upgrade

jordan-lt

Resolved [RESOLVED] NT Server Upgrade

I need to upgrade an NT Server system. The new system has 2 18.4Gb SCSI Hard Drives. The old system also has 2 SCSI Hard Drives, and the information on them need to be copied to the new drives. They are using NTFS, and I understand there may be some size considerations. Also what would be the easiest way to transfer the information.

AUID

How big were the old drives vs the size of the new ones?

------------------
    If Rome was anything like this place no wonder it wasn't built in a day

jordan-lt

The Drive on The old system is 2Gb. The new system has 2 18Gb. drives. We want to have a C: drive with a 4Gb partion, and a D: drive as a 14Gb. partition. The second 18Gb. drive is going to used as a mirrior drive.

I'm a little confused..

Are you replacing a server with another server or are you just changing the drives?

If you're moving from one machine to another, I would just install NT server on the new machine, setup the mirroring, and then copy the files manually.

If you're going to be changing the drives, you'll want to see if you can install one of the 18 gig drives and one of the 2 gig drives. Install NT server and info off of the first 2 gig drive. Shutdown, switch the 2 gig drives, and reboot a copy the data off of the second drive. After all the data is moved, shut down and replace the 2 gig with the second 18 gig. Reboot and setup mirroring on the second drive.

If you're new SCSI drives aren't compatible with the old ones, maybe you could burn the contents of the old drives to CD and then you would have a permanent backup.

--So Suggests Polychronopolis..

Let me clarify:

We are replacing a server running NT 4.0 with a system which will have Windows 2000 Server on it.
    The old server has a 2 Gigabyte SCSI drive. The data on this drive must be transferred to the new system.
    The new system has 2 18Gb. SCSI drives. The first drive has a C drive (4Gb) and a D drive (14Gb), and the second drive will be a mirror. The data from the old 2Gb. hard drive must be transferred to the D: drive of the new system.
    All the drives are using NTFS.

Setup 2000 server and then transfer the data across the network. No downtime. If the pdc/bdc is an issue, setup 2000 server as the bdc assuming the NT server is the PDC, Transfer the files over, kill the old server and promote 2k to pdc.