Configuring 2 routers in the same LAN - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Configuring 2 routers in the same LAN

Yep, Vista has a lot to like, but as I said the article describes a process that works in XP for turning on RIP and configuring it.
    Last edited by slgrieb; June 4th, 2008 at 06:52 PM.

This isn't a DNS problem as is being discussed.

But I would be interested if a RIP solution would actually work. Something to think about especially if you're face with what amount to over $500 for a real hardware WAN failover solution.

But I would also be interested in what environment this is, residential or business? Mission critical for WAN redundancy? If it's mission critical, there is no question that you might as will bite the bullet and go for a reason solution instead of playing around with maybe solutions.

I know a client that didn't want to spend the cost and simply just physically disconnect his LAN connection from one router to the other router as the primary fails.

This brings with it a whole set of problems to consider, like who is monitoring the backup WAN connection? It could be down for months before anyone notices and now you could have 2 dead WAN connections.

Anything is possible, it depends on how much time and money you're willing to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by pbolduc
    Well, it has been to my understanding that a local subnet
    One thing you could test after hours and by the sounds of things I'm pretty sure it will work the way you would expect it to. Unplug your primary router's power. That will break the primary gateway connection and your DHCP clients should go out through the second routers gateway to the internet. I realize this is not really what your after but it would prove your theory. Also CeeBee has an interesting point about RIP (Rest In Peace) you may want to plug him for more information about that protocol and if its configurable on your router.
    Well, your theory proved to work in real life scenario.
    I have disconnected the power from Router (A) after checking that all the clients were using it as their gateway to the internet.
    As soon as Router (A) went down (after a simple refresh) all clients were able to use Router (B) as their gateway to the internet - working just fine.
    Reconnecting back Router (A) and refreshing again caused all clients to re-route through Router (A).

I never really considered configuring RIP on a third router after chaining routers A and B to it. (thanks CeeBee!)
    I have an extra router of the same brand which supports RIPv1.
    CeeBee, I will configure it exactly like you suggested and we will see how it goes.

Oh, and for everyone who was asking:
    The environment is a small business single domain, with ~ 20 workstations + ~10 laptops, and 3 servers (Exchange, Filer and RRAS).
    Last edited by Sneakers; June 10th, 2008 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers
    I have an extra router of the same brand which supports RIPv1.
    CeeBee, I will configure it exactly like you suggested and we will see how it goes.
    You may notice a window of 30-60 sec in which the clients will not get to the internet.. that's because RIP refreshes the routes every 30 sec.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!