My computer doesn't recognise my CD-ROM or CD DVD Burner

Thread: My computer doesn't recognise my CD-ROM or CD DVD Burner

Exclamation My computer doesn't recognise my CD-ROM or CD DVD Burner

I have a Gateway 505GR computer when I try to use my CD player or Burner nothing happens! I went into control panel and clicked on the burner and player and got this message..... (tried to troubleshoot and nothing...)

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

They were both working fine last week now both are not working!!!!! HELP!!! PLEASE !!!

THIS IS WHAT THE DEVICE DESCRIPTION SAYS....

(!) _NEC DVD_RWND-3500AG

(!) HL-DT-STCDROM GCR-8483B

I'll assume that you have Windows XP, and that you have not recently d/l a virus or malware that caused this dilemma. Have you recently loaded any cd related sodtware, such as Nero, Sonic, etc? If so, try un-installing it, rebooting, and checking to see if that was the cause. Lots of programs have issues when there is a competitors' software present on the machine, in my experience. Also, try going to the " My Computer " icon and right clicking on it, then craftily choose " Properties " from the resultant menu. Choose the " Hardware " tab, and then " Device Manager " from the menu. There will be a list that will display with your hardware map. Click on the plus sign next to " Disk Drives " and right click on them one at a time and choose " Uninstall ". After they have both been deleted, reboot and cross your fingers! Good luck!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Unhappy Didn't Work!

Hey tried the sugjested fix and it didn't work, My computer said it had new hardware to install, then it said it couldn't complete the install because driver was corrupted. basicly it was thwe same message I got earlier! Damn this is frustrating

Irregardless of the reason it gives read this and do it it may fix it quickly.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

When this happens to a customers machine I ALWAYS!!!! reboot the machine off a clean win98 disk and see if I can read a CD. IF I can guess what windows has problems, even a virus probably, if not then I'd start with hardware. I always test my win98 boot disk on another machine to make sure it works if the test fails as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mich_GWC
    I have a Gateway 505GR computer when I try to use my CD player or Burner nothing happens! I went into control panel and clicked on the burner and player and got this message..... (tried to troubleshoot and nothing...)

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

They were both working fine last week now both are not working!!!!! HELP!!! PLEASE !!!

THIS IS WHAT THE DEVICE DESCRIPTION SAYS....

(!) _NEC DVD_RWND-3500AG

(!) HL-DT-STCDROM GCR-8483B
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.

i have a system u22012, amd2500, msit144400, mobo abitnf 7, 320 gb(new) i istalled a cdrom from another computer. when its all hook up the dvd player wont turn on to tur the windows sofware. if I disconnect from motherboard it will turn on. is there setting on the mother board i need to play with. Im trying to get it ready for my sons 8th birthday. Help thanks.

Welcome to Windrivers fragelrock.
    First of all, which Windows are you trying to install?
    Second, what is the make and model of the CD/DVD drive?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."