Problems with new athlon system I am building

Thread: Problems with new athlon system I am building

Post Problems with new athlon system I am building

I am building an AMD 750 thunderbird system with 128 megs of pc100 ram, a voodoo4 4500, maxtor 30.7g and a gigabyte GA-7IXE4 MB. When i first try to boot up all i get is 2 beeps followed by a pause and 1 more beep from the bios. No picture no nothing. I also tried the new ram in my current machine and my old pc100 ram in the new machine. The new ram just causes my old machine to do a continous bios beep, and the old ram in the new machine causes exactly the same bios beeps with no picture. I also tried a different video card but still nothing. From the little bit of tech help i got i am leading to believe i have a bad motherboard and a bad ram chip.(what are the odds??) I contacted the ram manufacturer and they say the ram i have has been tested and approved for this motherboard.(they were unsure about exactly why it didn't work in both machines, so they said to get an exchange) Also I have read over and over again about the power supply needing to be AMD approved, the one i have is not on their web pages but the computer store i bought it from builds athlons to a gig or more on this power supply with no problems at all and said it will work fine. Does anyone have any other ideas????

dfm274

I had the same exact same problem with first slot A 650 athlon using a Microstar K7-Pro.I had 256 pc 100. 1-128 ,2-64 ,I had to pull and switch my ram out.I had one low grade LD- ram chip that was keeping my pc from booting
    it may be the compability issue with your ram and AMD .the lower end I had worked fine in K6-2 w/a pc chips m/b.I doubt if you have a bad m/b,but you might want to have it checked also.I had a super 250w and changed to a super 300w,dont think thats a problem unless your using a 230w

Oc-768

I can't recall the bios beep codes from memory, but it sounds as if the DIMM is not seated correctly into the motherboard. In situations like that it is best to have a friend look over it and double check your work. It works for me.

I solved the problem. You were correct about 2 beeps leading to a memory problem. Actually I had a bad memory chip AND a bad motherboard. Both were brand new items I just bought. What luck, eh??? The idea of have a friend sounds great except for the fact that all my friends know jack about computers. LOL!! They all call me for help and upgrades. So that's why I turn to all of you when I get stumped.

Thanks Again!!!!

[This message has been edited by fuzy (edited January 04, 2001).]