[RESOLVED] Who makes the best laptop/Easiest to Repair - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Who makes the best laptop/Easiest to Repair

Coffee_Head

Thumbs up

I've got to agree with the majority here. IBM is the best. I've had problems with Compaq, Toshiba and Dells. Can someone please design a laptop that kicks *** and easy to work on?

ChrisR9999

Cool

I work where about 80% of the machines I work on are laptops. Dell, IBM, and HP. I've also worked on Compaqs, Gateway, you name it in the past. I would have to say out of those that Dell is by far the easiest to repair. Replaceing a motherboard on an IBM is a pain in the butt. Dells just take about 20 min to change out the MB. Piece of cake. Also with the quick turnaround time with parts. Dell usually turns around in about 24 to 48 hours. I had an IBM that I just got the replacement MB for this week. I ordered it on Jan 9th! They just kept pushing back the ETA. To recap, Dell in my opinion are the best as far as laptops go.

eljasbo

I like the Dells. They have a compartment for the memory, video card, and hard drive that lets you replace these easily without opening up the thing. Also, their dietailed diagrams on their web page really make assembly/disassembly easy. Ive seen some Gateways that you had to open up the enire thing just to replace memory!

SimonSez

Cool

OK... I've had my hands on many many a laptop... I'd have to say that DELL laptops are the easiest, because they really havn't changed the design process for a long time... just about every model looks the same under the hood. Compaqs are pieces of poop and that goes for toshibas as well... with toshibas, there were always those enevitable "extra screws". I have never worked on a Sony, everwhere I worked we were never allowed to work on them. That's my 2 cents...

------------------
    Scott H. Ptak
    [email protected]
    EDS

dv8_2000

Cool

I have worked on laptops for about three years. I have repaired compaq, toshiba, ibm, and apple. The old toshibas were the worst, layers upon layers and 50 million screws. pretty much all the newer laptops have a limited number of screws and only one main part, system board. every thing else is pretty moduler. of course the best technician in the shop was the one who ended up with the least screws left over at the end. you just hoped that you didn't end up with not enough screws

Orclease

Well i try to avoid working on laptops,[IMG] http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum/smilies/cwm4.gif[/IMG] but i've done my fair share. IBM and Toshiba are good but IBM you need that damnn harddrive adaptor to get you hard drive to connect...thats a minor issue though. I think Sager is the easiest...designed simply and fully upgradeable!

------------------
    If it ain't broke.....UPGRADE IT!

dumb blonde

I JUST WORKED ON A HP LAPTOP 33 MINUTES AND IT WAS RELOADED WITH WINME AND 128MEG OF RAM FROM 64MEG AND OUT THE DOOR . THAT INCLUDED FDISK AND FORMAT SO HP HAS MY VOTE

------------------
    what will go wrong today???? never mind going back to bed

derekb

Cool

I personally don't mind Dell's and IBM's.
    Given the opportunity I would pass on working on any laptop.

------------------
    Relaxing in the corporate world!

Question

What does everyone think of Sagar Notebooks? There prices are amazing, but I haven't heard anything about the products. Anybody have any experience with them or heard anything?
    A+ MCSE CCNA

ctrl_alt_del

Wink

Looks as if the majority rules here. Laptops are a real headache overall especially if you suffer from fat-finger syndrome [most of us do]. When I first started servicing laptops, I found it difficult to crack the case on almost every manufacturer. Over time... you will be able to do it with your eyes closed. Don't dispare, it will get easier!

rjwilke

Could be that they SUCK! Their desktops SUCK too!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mikecso:
    I agree w/ the majority.....
    Compaq is a major pain in the ***... Toshiba isn't too bad, IBM is better.
    You know, now that I think about it, most of the laptops we see in the shop is Compaq...why do you think that is????
    </font>

Talking

I have to go with Toshiba as the easy one for access. I also have to give Toshiba great marks for supporting independent service shops and Sony is good about supporting independents. IBM is getting better. Dell is also another unit that I findeasy to work on and sort of good to independents. Compaq,Hp and gateway suck on all fronts and NEC and Micron are not much better although Micron is good to indepentents.

------------------
    If life is a bitch then what is death? I believe I will take the bitch!
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

seriouZdanger

I have a Sager Notebook that I bought second hand from a guy last summer. It was basically brand new because the guy never used it. The thing has worked perfect from the beginning. AMD K6/2 400Mhz processor with 128MB RAM. The only problem so far was self induced. These things DO NOT like alcoholic beverages poured in them. *chuckles* I spilled half a can of beer in the keyboard one night. The next day it came on but once it was turned off it wouldn`t come back on. (I was staying at my cousin`s house for the weekend and left it to dry out on the table and they turned it on) I brought it to work to check it out. (this is the first laptop I`ve ever owned and have never worked on one before) I had it apart in a matter of minutes. I cleaned all the boards with some cleaner then let it dry for a few hours. I put it back together and turned it on and it popped right back up and has been running fine since.

We`ve had laptops drift through our store pretty regularly since then and we`ve started to sell quite a few lately but I`ve never had to break into any of them so I don`t have anything to base my opinion on really but these things seem like great clones to me.

Foehammer

Arrow

I personally prefer Toshiba and Fujitsu, but that of course is due to the good luck I've had with both companies. Upgrading was easy, both hardware and software (BIOS, etc.), and finding accessories was a breeze. So much for my two cents...

------------------
    "...For no one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts...(pointing at sword) this you can trust..." -Conan's Father

Khameleon

Every laptop model seems to be different when it comes to getting into the guts, even models from the same manufacturer. Therefore, they all suck the first time, then get easier. Toshiba seem to be the most consistent that I have seen.

------------------
    "You call it a new way of thinking...I call it professional ignorance." - Op Ivy - Take Warning