[RESOLVED] Hard Drive, Likes/Dislikes - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hard Drive, Likes/Dislikes

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">
    2. My Brother-in-Law works for Western Digital.
    </font>
    That's the most logical reason I've heard yet for not using a mfg's drives.

------------------
    Thank you for calling, how can I hang up on you today?
    4 out of 5 voices in my head say, GO FOR IT!

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Green Iguana:
    The drives I have been having the least amount of problems with are the Seagate, Maxtor and IBM.

The drives I have had the most problems with are the JTS, Fujitsu, Western Digital, Quantum BigFoot and Samsung.

</font>
    Right on Green! I would have to agree entirely!

iateyourcat

IBM has proven performance and reliability.

..and having worked at compusa/computer city for 1.5 years as a bench tech, i can say with absolute certainty that the quantum bigfoot is the biggest peice of sh*t EVER.
    ------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

[This message has been edited by iateyourcat (edited January 04, 2001).]

DesertEagle

Angry

I have had problems with all drives at some point but the single worst drive I ever saw was a Sunbeam drive,that right the appliance people. It sounded bad, looked like it was spray painted in a homemade spray booth and had a failure rate of over 30 percent. But it diced,sliced and mixed fine. For some reason, any drive put into a Packard Bell seemed to have a high failure rate irregardless of brand.

TheoneDKS

I've run into problems with them all. I just run what is on sale and keep good backups. T

3fingersalute

Exclamation

For everybody who said quantum, I got one word for you:

BIGFOOT !

Actually, I think quantum is a decent drive, the bigfoot was just like a brainfart on there part or something!

------------------
    Why do convenience stores that are open 24/7 have locks on the doors?

CobraTekMax

Maxtor has never once failed me, so I can't say anything bad about them. IBM does make a damn good drive though.

I can't believe I'm seeing so many posts praising Seagate though. Nearly every Seagate I've ever seen has either been DOA, or died after about six months. Am I just coming into contact with the .000001% of the bad Seagate drives floating around out there?

------------------
    Clatu...Verata...nnnn...necktie...nectur...nickel. ...it's definately an "N" word...

Sparky625

Well, I'm currently using 2 Maxtors and a WD, but I've just got to review so far.

Total Scores from Previous Posts:
    <u>Brand +s -s result votes</u>
    Maxtor +8 -3 +5 11
    Seagate +7 -4 +3 11
    WD +5 -6 -1 11
    Quantum +6 -4 +2 10
    IBM +6 +6 6
    Fujitsu -4 -4 4
    Misc:
    Samsung -> -2, JTS -> -1, Connor -> +1

Let's see, my experience has shown me the same things everyone else said about Bigfeet. I rarely trust big names that make secondary products (i.e. HP computers, Diamond audio cards...), so I have an unreasonable thing against IBM drives, even though I've never had a problem with one. My dad used to be a tech too, so he has some views, and he swears by Fujitsu and rather dislikes Maxtor, but those are from 10 years ago. Anyway, I've got very few of my own biases, I just wanted to present the whole voting frenzy in one place. Enjoy!

pcmauler

loads of quantum 6.4gb CX drives have had to be sent back. like 20 at least in the last 4 months!! And my pet hate goes to the bigfoot drives

J_Man

Talking

I prefer Seagate, W.D or Quantum (excluding those awefull bigfoots) I refused to sell Maxtor after I had at least 50% burn out or develope bad sectors all over the platters. IBM are OK for the price. Fujitsu, cheap and crap aswell as samsung. The funny thing is that my personal HDD is a ATA66 10.2GB Samsung, the quietest drive that I've heard yet... fingers crossed

Cool

I like my Quantum fireball series drives, not the bigfoots
    Good drives , I have 4 of them in 4 computers at home and only the 5 year old drive has acted up when on an ALI chipset board but runs fine in the Packard Bell with an intel chipset
    I have installed the IBM deskstar and that is a nice drive, I installed to 30 gig Maxtors for my frined and his one driv developed bad sectors within a monthm we exxchanged it for a new 40 gig Maxtor, No Maxtors for me
    His 2 year old Maxtor 2 gig is still going strong though
    I also like the Fujitsu drives

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Riteous

I think that IBM drives are hands down the best for quality, consistency, performance and warranty. I have used IBM drives for years now and I've never had a bad one! I don't like Samsung drives much because they seem slower and less compatible than most other drives. I have heard mixed reviews about Fujitsu - either they are good performers and really great for the price, or they absolutely suck and are completely incompatible. I like Maxtor drives as well but they have an annoying habit of developing bad sectors after a couple of years.
    Never cared much for Quantum or Seagate because they aren't consistent with quality - one set of drives may be great, while the next set sucks axe!
    Funny thing though, I have a friend that worked for some agency who kept track of HD DMA's, and he said that Maxtor had the least amount of returns BY FAR compared to all of the other HD manufacturers. Who'd a guessed?

------------------
    Why won't this protection guy leave me alone? And what idiot made him a General anyway?!?

[This message has been edited by Riteous (edited January 04, 2001).]

Deanodriver

I used a Quantum 850mb in my Pentium 90 in 1999, although it was an OK drive, which i got from the main computer when it upgraded to a Maxtor 3 gig (still there, going fine ) after a small while it developed bad sectors (could be because it was not in a systemm for a while), i still used it, it didn't harm it too much, then on one day about a year ago, it died, and another 250mb that found itself in there died too , i went to a 420mb (conner?) for a month or so, then to a 540mb Seagate and a p120. Now I am using my pentium 2 and a Quantum, and it is a nice drive, way faster than the old Seagate (Medalist) that was in it, although the Seagate may have only been ATA/16? my drive is ATA/100, but the mobo uses a BX chipset (Gigabyte BX2000) :P, therefore only supports ATA/33. I can't wait until I get my Athlon. I still have one of those seagates (i had 2 for a few months, now the original one is in my grandparents computer), same size, just one was black, the other silver.

Man are those 20GB Quantums heavy!
    lol

FBJK_Pretender

Cool

[b]OOOH I can see everyones opinion differs here hehehe But in my experience I have used Quantum now for over 9 years, starting with a Quantum 120MB IDE that still works to this day in my old 386-40 machine. When you think about it a hard drive lasting nine years especially a original IDE spec 120MB drive....

I also use a 3.2GB Quantum Fireball and a WD 3.4GB drive here as well in my K6-2 266 machine here. The Quantum is near 2 years old now running as the master and the WD as a slave to my Kenwood 52X cd drive. Both drives have performed so fine for me

------------------
    FBJK_Pretender
    Director General/Leader of FBJK
    http:/www.infomatch.com/~ewoiwod/fbjkmain.htm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3fingersalute:
    For everybody who said quantum, I got one word for you:

BIGFOOT !

Actually, I think quantum is a decent drive, the bigfoot was just like a brainfart on there part or something!

</font>
    Remember when I told the story of the jealous husband who kept kicking his wife's computer case? Know what was the only component that survived both of those impacts? A Quantum Bigfoot. Amazing isn't it?

Normally, though, I tend to stick with Western Digital and IBM....ad the 5400 RPM Seagates. THe 7200 Seagates run real fast, I admit, but they make me nervous....they're loud, for one, and before you finish loading Windows, the drive has already heated up to it's upper-limit operating temperature.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000