Windows 2000 dialup issues? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windows 2000 dialup issues?

Only one system is still under warranty. It was purchased about a month ago with Win 2000 Pro factory loaded. I'll call the ISP and see if they can suggest any init strings, but they didn't suggest any while we were having the problems in the first place.

Did you try deleting and recreating the DUN connection?

Also try removing TPC/IP rebooting and reinstalling.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

I've already tried removing the DUN connection, but I didn't remove TCP/IP and reboot yet. I'll try that tomorrow.

You know, quite honestly - if you can connect, the machine is fine. If you can not connect more than once to the same ISP using the same account from seperate machines - I have to go with the ISP having an issue of some sort with 2k.

One thing - have you tried getting static IP's from them and hard coding the ISP's gateway and dns?

That's what I had thought, but I figured maybe somebody has encountered the same problem here. I have updated all drivers and I believe the problem is on the ISP's end, but I will contact them tomorrow and check into getting static IP addresses and hardcoding the gateway and DNS info. Thank you all for your suggestions. Enjoy.

smokewolf

I would be alittle concerned about the phonelines. I have been into places where they have a PBX system for the office phones and only one break out line. Because the PBX is a digital system, the modems can not dial directly thru it. That is why they need break out lines to dial direct. A common indicator of this is if they have to dial 9 to get an outside line.

I would suggest taking an analog phone with you, connect one pc to the internet then go around with the analog phone and check for dial tones at each of the other pc's. No dial tone means there is only one true outside line.

And some customers will say one thing, but in reality the truth is completely different. They may never had connected simultaneously before, but thought they had.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. They are greatly appreciated, but I have talked the owner into purchasing a broadband connection and sharing between the systems. For the price he pays for the simultaneous logins, he can get a good broadband connection. Thank a lot fellow techs. Have a great day.

The only way it could be on he ISP's end is if all three logins are on the same user name and password.

If you have three true dialup accounts with them, then you should be logging on with three separate users? Three logins with three users on three known separate phone line should work fine.

The previous post may be correct, it may be the office phone system. To find out, log one computer into your clients ISP, and try to log a different computer into a different ISP. If you can dial out at all with the second computer, it is probably not the phone system.

Within Windows 2k networking you may also have to make sure all 4 computers have different computer names. And different user names at windows loggin. If these machines are seen as identical in any way by the ISP's server, it may prevent multiple logins.

Hope this helps.

I have already tried dialing up to two separate ISP's simultaneously and have had no problems. In fact, the business is currently using home accounts from employees to connect to the same ISP, so that rules out issues with the phone system. They do log in with the same username and password simultaneously, but the ISP has tested the simultaneous logins with Windows 98 and it has worked fine. However, they can't get it to work with Win2k either. I will try your suggestion about the Windows login being the same on several machines, but I believe we are going to switch to a broadband connection and share the connection across a network. Thank again for your suggestions.

Originally posted by pinhead
    I have already tried dialing up to two separate ISP's simultaneously and have had no problems. In fact, the business is currently using home accounts from employees to connect to the same ISP, so that rules out issues with the phone system. They do log in with the same username and password simultaneously, but the ISP has tested the simultaneous logins with Windows 98 and it has worked fine. However, they can't get it to work with Win2k either. I will try your suggestion about the Windows login being the same on several machines, but I believe we are going to switch to a broadband connection and share the connection across a network. Thank again for your suggestions.

See, told ya.

Get a router with a NAT for the machine if they are going to be on a cable/dsl connection. might want to go get a freeware firewall for the individual machines as well just to be safe.