XP Error msg..what does it all mean?

Thread: XP Error msg..what does it all mean?

XP Error msg..what does it all mean?

Hi,

I run Windows XP Pro. on a Compaq EvoN1000c laptop. I keep getting a 'blue screen of death' and the follow error signature:

BCCode : 24 BCP1 : 001902FA BCP2 : F11375D0 BCP3 : F11372D0
    BCP4 : F990AA1A OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

Does anyone know what this all means? I haven't a clue and I don't know how I can fix this problem.
    Rock on ROCCO!

Have you installed any of the updates?..if so, look and see if you have installed a windows hotfix that references "see Q317277 for more information" if so, try uninstalling that particular hotfix. Another thing you can try is to rebuild the pagefile: instructions from MS are:

You can solve this problem by recreating the pagefile. To recreate the pagefile, follow these steps:
    Click Start.
    Right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    On the Advanced tab, in the Performance section, click Settings.
    In the Virtual Memory section, click Change.
    For Paging file size for selected drive, click No Paging File and then click Set.
    Click Yes after the following warning appears:
    If the paging file on volume X: has an initial size of less than xx megabytes, then the system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs. Continue anyway?

(X is the drive letter and xx is the amount of RAM installed on your computer minus 1 megabyte.)

Click System Managed Size.
    Click OK four times, and then restart the computer when you are prompted.

I did a Google and got several hits.
    Microsoft TechNet says that stop error 24 relates to the ntfs driver.
    It says the fix is to run CHKDSK /F.

Not sure how much NT experience you have, so excuse anything I say you already know...
    CHKDSK the NT File System equivilant to Win9x Scandisk.
    CHKDSK /F will fix data and file system errors.
    CHKDSK /R does that, plus it checks the surface of the disk and marks off bad spots.
    This is the same as a "thorough" Scan disk, or the "scandisk /surface" DOS command.

Every PC should have at least one CHKDSK /R run on it, though, preferably right after installing Windows, and before installing any software. Better late than never. If you've never run CHKDSK /R, this is a good time to do this.

Unlike Win9x, NT operating systems like NT3.51, NT4, Windows2000, and Win XP can't fix the file system while booted to Windows. So do the following:

Click Start / Run...
    and type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter.
    In the DOS command window, type CHKDSK /R and hit enter.
    It'll complain that the file system is locked and will ask if you would like to run CHKDSK the next time you restart.
    Hit "Y" and restart the computer.
    That should fix you.

Can't boot to Windows?
    After the BIOS screen is finished and before Windows starts, push F8. Start in Safe Mode.

Can't get there? (oh-no)
    Boot to your Windows CD, but instead of reinstalling, choose the recovery console. I think you can run CHKDSK from there.
    Good luck.

Forgot to mention...

A guy told me that CHKDSK can't touch the pagefile. So how do you check the surface area under the pagefile?

You can run CHKDSK once, move the pagefile, run CHKDSK again, ...
    or the quicker easier way, if you have enough RAM, is to follow geoscomp's directions to set the minimum pagefile to zero, if Windows will let you. If your system has 256MB of RAM or more, you'll probably not need any pagefile.

THEN, run CHKDSK after setting it to zero.

When CHKDSK is done, you can set the pagefile minimum back to something higher.

most blue screens i have experienced are due to new/damaged or upgraded programs. Sometimes you need driver updates because the new/updated program calls for functions that the old drivers/firmware cant interpet.

I would reccomend updating all the drivers and firmware you can get your hands on an reinstalling any programs you made a change to before the BSD started happening.

As fare as the hex values does it refernece any executables, dll or .sys files?

I know my knowledge of computers is limited compared to a lot of you guys out there but - to run CHKDSK - all I do is double left click my computer - right click "c" drive - left click properties - left click tools tab and check the boxes - and next time the machines starts it does a "chkdsk"

You're right, but just running chkdsk from the tools menu doesnt givr you the full functionality of the program. With a good ammount of executable out there you can type ExecutableName /? and it will show all of the available switches for that executable.

In Chkdsk's case it is as follows:

CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
    mount point, or volume name.
    filename FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for fragmentation.

/F Fixes errors on the disk.
    /V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk.

On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
    (implies /F).
    /L:size NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified number
    of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current
    size.
    /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
    All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid
    (implies /F).
    /I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
    /C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder
    structure.

The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to run Chkdsk by
    skipping certain checks of the volume.

So the /f /r option tells chkdsk to fix errors and recover any readable information