hard drive going bad

Thread: hard drive going bad

hard drive going bad

I think my hard drive is going bad. I run some different programs and hear a "clunk" and then everything is all froze up.

So, I'm thinking about getting a good backup just in case. I have a second hard disk I can clear and use for a backup disk. It's smaller but should hold everything.

Question what's a good program to use that will get everything like hidden files. I did a practice run using xcopy but some of the files didn't copy got an access error of some sort.

drive image

PowerQuest Drive Image 2002, is something I've used successfully, to clone a failing hard drive onto another one....all I had to do was run fdisk /mbr afterwards and win2k booted up just fine ........it even works if the drives are different sizes, u'll just have a partition that's smaller than the whole drive, which you can resize later...
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc
    I think my hard drive is going bad. I run some different programs and hear a "clunk" and then everything is all froze up.

So, I'm thinking about getting a good backup just in case. I have a second hard disk I can clear and use for a backup disk. It's smaller but should hold everything.

Question what's a good program to use that will get everything like hidden files. I did a practice run using xcopy but some of the files didn't copy got an access error of some sort.
    I have used powerquests DriveImage before with alot of luck in an industrial environment but the only problem I have had with it was that for some reason when I imaged a drive everything would work fine but M$ Word would be corrupted and would not work. Nothing I did would fix it either. Now I use Norton ghost it is the best in my opinion.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

Another vote for Ghost, although depending on the particulars, it may not ghost to a smaller drive.
    PS
    HDD clunking? You better do this real quick.

Norton Ghost all the way. It will copy to a smaller drive as long as the data size is smaller than the destination drive.
    Get me a soldering iron and some duct tape, and I'll see what I can do.

thanks for the info

Thanks for the info.

I will try and get one that's shareware or free first since I'll probably have only use it one time..

I have to check to see if Norton ghost has a demo that will work.

I looked at several shareware but they want both drives to be the same size.
    I can use one that doesnt use all the drive space and reformat it later.

Yea, I heard the computer make a clunk once, but it did it with the same program ( converting dvds to mpeg so I could take em in to work and watch em there). But, I've just heard it again with a different program so the clock's ticking on the drive.
    Thanks guys....