Anyone figure out the Code 10 Firewire issue?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone figure out the Code 10 Firewire issue?

Question Anyone figure out the Code 10 Firewire issue?

I am running XP Pro, AMD 2600 and have tried to install a generic 3-port SCSI firewire card, the box says that it will run with Windows and doesn't provide a driver. I continually get the Code 10 error, whether I put the card in slot 2, 4, 5, etc. I have seen some talk about changing BIOS and HAL (?) with this issue...I'm good with computers, but delving into my own for the first time. Any talk about BIOS and HAL will need a little deeper explanation.

Is there an updated driver available for IEEE 1394?

The other SCSI I have plugged in are a Radeon 9200 and Creative internal modem.

Please help!!
    Sean

Welcome to Windrivers el general

SCSI?

Do you mean PCI?

One normally uses one pci scsi card and daisy chains scsi devices from that.

What is the FCC ID on the firewire card?

Have you got service pack 1 loaded ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Think XP's updated

Thank you for your quick response... It's a new computer, but I have run the most recent Windows Update, so I would guess that included SP1. As for SCSI, I tried to be smart, but you're right, it's the card slot in the back of the computer...

I'll have to get back to you on FCC #, please check back on Friday and I should have it...

Question OK...so onto the IRQ and Bios stuff

I have read through a ton of information about this code 10 thing and I have decided to look into the IRQ sharing, etc.

How do I check which IRQ is being utilized by which device? How can I ensure that the few devices I have are not sharing IRQs?

Quote Originally Posted by el_general
    I have read through a ton of information about this code 10 thing and I have decided to look into the IRQ sharing, etc.

How do I check which IRQ is being utilized by which device? How can I ensure that the few devices I have are not sharing IRQs?
    So this is what code 10 means - no resources allocated, so won't start

What windoze thinks its sharing & what Bios thinks are, unfortunately are two very different things, so for the moment I wouldn't even bother looking (you can see what windoze 'thinks' by opening device manager, then choose 'view' in that & you should be able to fathom it out), there's also settings in bios can affect matters..

But methinks most likely candidate to sort things out will be a chipset patch, since we have an amd chip I'll take a flyer & say get go get the 'hyperions' from here - viatech {however I don't have the board details so your chipset might be by ALI or Nvidia or someone else - check the manufacturers site of your m/b for confirmation}..

Now if a chipset patch isn't doing it then we get onto HAL - Hardware extraction layer, there's a load of techo-mumbo-whatsit about this, but the long & the short of it, is that it simply decides on how devices' IRQs & memory ranges get shared/allocated (or that's enough for here)- one entry in bios controls this generally - ACPI on or off. On gives you ACPI bios (so everything that wants to share is forced onto IRQ 9,10,11 & windows does the arbitration) off lets bios do it itself with supposedly no interference from windows.

Once you've set windows up one way or the other (most machines generally have this on by default in bios) it mayn't be so simple to swap from 'standard pc' (if you expand the entry 'computer' in device manager you can see which windows is using) to 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC', thus changing HAL type - everything can go 'horribly wrong' !!! - the simplest way imho is to do what's called an 'inplace upgrade/reinstallation' & force a new HAL at setup - see this KB for help - How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an installation of Windows XP

Thank you much!!

Thank you for the tutorial. Can I completely rule out the idea that Windows drivers are not up to snuff with the unit that I have? If not, where on the web are these drivers for 3-port firewire PCIs?

As for the motherboard, I'm away from home, but I'm pretty sure it's Aopen Cube and relatively new though certainly not the top of the line ( bought the computer new a month ago ).

aopen support and downloads note there is a bios update for several cubes - MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT ONE - flashing the bios is done at your own risk. A bios update may resolve your issue.

looks like the xc cube uses intel chipsets download and install the correct intel inf driver.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Red face Correct motherboard info

Ok...finally got the balls to call my gf and ask her to check it for me. The motherboard is ASRock K7S8X (might be K7S8XE). I have looked at their website and done searches to see if the firewire problem is common to these boards, and have found nothing. Is there anything that you might know about this particular board and whether it could be causing a problem.

I still feel like I should avoid any BIOS ordeals and continue to wonder if the problem is as simple as a better driver for the PCI card...any insight? Any drivers available to supplement the 3 or 4 in Windows XP?

Ahhh we'll get there eventually

This one ? K7S8X

It says the chipset on that board is SiS746FX.

Drivers & new bios here

No chipset patch though, so windows should 'understand' this board, reading the bios revision notes though tells me they've definately done 'stuff' that can affect IRQ allocation etc.

The firewire drivers you keep asking about are btw 'generic' - so windows has some for it, if it could but get the 'resource sharing sum' worked out ..

Each pci slot (well any slot) on your motherboard has a range of resources it can allow any device plugged into it to use, each device also has a list of resources it wants to use, windows does a big 'sum' with all of this & generally manages to work it out such that every device finds resources it can use uniquely itself or share with other devices, 'happily' - here it hasn't (least I don't think so).

So here if you are reluctant with bios flashing, try perhaps re-arranging the order of your pci cards or if you've got slots free, just move the firewire about, many times you can get lucky with this seemingly random approach (techies call this 'slot shuffle'), else you are looking at changing HAL & so getting bios to do the sum & not windows.

Also try turning off devices not used in bios, generally serial ports (normal ones not sata or whatnot), midi port, & also parallel printer port are good candiates to turn off as most folks don't use 'em, this frees up IRQs etc & gives that sum (I keep waffling about) more chance of being solved.
    Last edited by confus-ed; September 2nd, 2004 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by el_general
    I am running XP Pro, AMD 2600 and have tried to install a generic 3-port SCSI firewire card, the box says that it will run with Windows and doesn't provide a driver. I continually get the Code 10 error, whether I put the card in slot 2, 4, 5, etc. I have seen some talk about changing BIOS and HAL (?) with this issue...I'm good with computers, but delving into my own for the first time. Any talk about BIOS and HAL will need a little deeper explanation.

Is there an updated driver available for IEEE 1394?

The other SCSI I have plugged in are a Radeon 9200 and Creative internal modem.

Please help!!
    Sean
    Cause 1 - APM is not enabled in bios,
    Cause 2 - this can occure when there is no device plugged in assuming the drivers are loaded.

I'd try another pci/1394 card. I've got at least a half dozen i've bought over past 3 years. Ti, SIS, SIIG, VIA you name it. Never once a single problem... I would suspect the card is frozen to an IRQ and the bios and os can't reassign.

You might try playing around with IRQ assignments in cmos setup.. there should be an option to let os assign irq or bios to assign. try that first... Also watch the post to see if the card is getting an irq if so. then move to new slot and see if irq changes... if it doesn't then most likely theres a problem with card.

Thumbs up Thank you everyone!!

Very appreciated. I will spend some time on this issue this weekend...and get back.

For what it's worth, I just solved my Code 10 problem with my Firewire PCMCIA Card on an IBM Thinkpad.

Other Firewire cards had worked in the Thinkpad, and the PCMCIA card worked in a Dell.

On the IBM Thinkpad it was not recognised, and gave the magical Code 10.

The issue was in the IBM Thinkpad BIOS there was a setting:

PCI Bus Power Management.

This was set to Automatic. I set it to Disabled and the card was recognised !!

May be worth a quick look at the bios settings.

kidhazy thats a good tip.

One of these days I am going to go through the threads and put all the suggestions that worked together.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    ..One of these days I am going to go through the threads and put all the suggestions that worked together.
    If Billy Boy did that, then windows would work too

Changing this setting though as suggested here would have an effect on plug & play working correctly, but you'd have though it'd signal some power error first, not just not work - THEN I go googling on that theory & what do I find ?

Code 10: The USB hub power has been exceeded.

Code 10 Error Message When Bluetooth Transceiver Is Plugged Into a Bus-Powered Hub

Arrrrrgh ! God damned Billy, using the same phrases with completely different meanings - oooo !