Outlook Express can't delete sent mail

Thread: Outlook Express can't delete sent mail

Question Outlook Express can't delete sent mail

Running Outlook Express on a Win 98se computer. It all started when I tried to sent a large file out. A error came back telling me that the IP server does not aloud the size I was sending. But it sent it anyway. Then I try to clean up my mail so I tried to delete some of my old sent mail but it would not let me. So I tried to delete some old delete mail and I could do that. I also I'm able to delete my in mail too.
    I have been in and out of OutLook Express and one time when I went to the sent mail I got a message saying low memory not enough disk space. I have about 4GB left on my Hard Drive.

Still can't shake this problem.
    Last edited by Twigs; February 16th, 2005 at 08:54 PM.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Hello Twigs,

I noticed no one posted a reply to your question a while back, but did you ever figure out how to fix that problem? Every detail of your question describes my problem exactly. Very odd...I try to delete, and nothing happens. Is it a virus or spyware perhaps? I've looked at the "obvious" (full trash bin, HD space) but I can't seem to figure this one out.

I would SO very much appreciate a little advice, if you can help me.

Thank you.

Bill in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by billmit
    Hello Twigs,

I noticed no one posted a reply to your question a while back, but did you ever figure out how to fix that problem? Every detail of your question describes my problem exactly. Very odd...I try to delete, and nothing happens. Is it a virus or spyware perhaps? I've looked at the "obvious" (full trash bin, HD space) but I can't seem to figure this one out.

I would SO very much appreciate a little advice, if you can help me.

Thank you.

Bill in San Diego
    No one really new what to do. I posted this question someplace else on the forum. They said go to Safe Mode and Delete my sent mail. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Well, for what it's worth, virtualdr.com is a great help site too, if nothing pans-out here that is.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billmit
    Well, for what it's worth, virtualdr.com is a great help site too, if nothing pans-out here that is.

Bill
    Cool !! I'll check it out.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

With OE closed locate the sent.dbx file and rename/remove/delete it (your choice), when you open OE again it will recreate the sent.dbx file. the sent.dbx file is damaged/corrupt and this is why u are unable to delete messages.

STu1701

Question No go

Quote Originally Posted by Stu1701
    With OE closed locate the sent.dbx file and rename/remove/delete it (your choice), when you open OE again it will recreate the sent.dbx file. the sent.dbx file is damaged/corrupt and this is why u are unable to delete messages.

STu1701
    Could sent.dbx be called something else? I did a search but this file did not come up. I'm run Outlook Express 6.0 on my Win 98se.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

sorry...search for sent items.dbx or just items.dbx. you can locate your current message store location by opening OE goto tools/options/maintenance tab, click on store folder.

Each folder in OE should have a corrosponding DBX file, (inbox=inbox.dbx...outbox=outbox.dbx) if u delete/remove/rename any of these dbx files then OE recreates them when it is opened.
    Last edited by Stu1701; May 27th, 2005 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu1701
    sorry...search for sent items.dbx or just items.dbx. you can locate your current message store location by opening OE goto tools/options/maintenance tab, click on store folder.

Each folder in OE should have a corrosponding DBX file, (inbox=inbox.dbx...outbox=outbox.dbx) if u delete/remove/rename any of these dbx files then OE recreates them when it is opened.
    Cool !!!

I checked in maintenance, it showed in a folder with a long string of numbers and letters. There was no DBX anywhere. The string of numbers look like numbers you see when you are loading a Microsoft program on for the first time. Like the Serial number of the software.

Found it !!!!
    I had to dig deeper.
    Last edited by Twigs; May 27th, 2005 at 05:08 PM.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs