GoBack messup
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GoBack messup

GoBack messup

K I got a hard drive... has goback on it... can't access it on other machine due to this crap goback on it... how do I get rid of it? I can't boot off the drive cause the old machine is dead... when I try to boot off it it gives me a
    "failure gb_ui_support(1147)" has anyone dealt with this problem... I just need to copy his data off the drive...

NTFS file system windows XP pro 250gig maxtor

PS attaching it to another computer it sees the drive, but will not give it a drive letter...
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; February 1st, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Goback is the spawn of the devil ! ... I hate it !

A bit of googling gave me this ..
    ..Remove GoBack from the Master Boot Record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: Because the timing of the key-presses that are described in this section can be critical, especially on a fast computer, we strongly suggest that you try this more than once if you are not successful the first time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn off the computer.
    Start the computer, and then immediately press and hold down the Ctrl+Alt+G keys. A message will appear that gives you the option to force the removal of GoBack from the master boot record. Note that some computers require that you hold down the Ctrl+Alt keys while rapidly tapping the G key.
    Press F to force the removal of GoBack from the master boot record.
    Restart the computer.

Solution 2

WARNINGS:
    Do not try this unless multiple attempts to use Solution 1 have failed.
    This procedure will delete ALL partitions from your hard drive. If you have multiple partitions and you follow these instructions, you may lose all of your data.

Follow the instructions for your operating system.

Windows 95/98/Me
    Insert a Windows Startup disk in the floppy disk drive and restart the computer.
    At the A:\ prompt, type the following:

FDisk /MBR

Press Enter. This will rewrite the MBR, remove the GoBack entry, and replace the Windows boot information with default settings.
    When you see the A:\ prompt again, remove the floppy and restart the computer.
    Repeat any procedures that you previously performed, such as using a Restore or Recovery CD that came with the computer, or creating partitions.

Windows 2000/XP
    Start the computer from a Windows installation CD or a Windows bootable floppy disk.
    Use the Windows Recovery Console to run the FIXMBR command. Refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles for instructions on accessing and using the Windows Recovery Console and the FIXMBR command:
    Windows 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;229716
    Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314058

I'd be leery to try this right now without having an image of the drive copied somewhere... but have you tried FDISK /mbr?

EDIT: Beaten by a mere seconds!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Stalemate
    EDIT: Beaten by a mere seconds!
    I'm faster at tech support than at mindtraps

wow... thanks... I'd checked out nortons website and couldn't find anything helpful... and I googled it a bit but mostly just "This software sucks!" whiney stuff without an actual solution... but yours worked great... I owe you a few beers

saved my customers butt... thanks

whew... what a bad day...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Pc Hero

[QUOTE=confus-ed]Goback is the spawn of the devil ! ... I hate it !

confus-ed, YOU are a TRUE PC Hero!

Your info step #1 got me up and running in minutes agin.

I just wanted to thank you.

I hereby crown you PC HERO.

I couldnt find nuttin.

Welcome to Windrivers GNO.

Confus-ed has moved on in cyberspace, but I will send him a message with your thanks.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers GNO.

Confus-ed has moved on in cyberspace, but I will send him a message with your thanks.
    Where did he go, I was wondering what happened to him?

I'm not entirely sure... the email address I have for him doesn't bounce, but then again, I don't get replies either
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I'm not entirely sure... the email address I have for him doesn't bounce, but then again, I don't get replies either
    Ah well, we never liked him anyway.

That's bound to get a response if he is still lurking

have had many runins with goback myself.... when you are unable to remove it ( in this case you apparently were ) I've had luck with getdataback software from runtime systems....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Way to resurrect a year old thread... :P

Funny though, been running into GoBack a lot more recently again for some reason. I remove it every time I see it now. With all the gadgets and gizmos norton has I'm surprised they haven't just come out with their own OS... ;P

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    Way to resurrect a year old thread... :P

Funny though, been running into GoBack a lot more recently again for some reason. I remove it every time I see it now. With all the gadgets and gizmos norton has I'm surprised they haven't just come out with their own OS... ;P

Hey I didn't resurrect it I just gave it a little life support!

didnt' even look when the original post was... just that there were serveral recent posts to it.... besides like you said been seeing lots of problems with this crap so reviewing a bit couldn't hurt....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

For people to go to the trouble of registering just to say thanks I think is wonderful. How many people actually stop to say thankyou?

If I saw a thread every day resurrected just to say thank you, my faith in human nature would be finally vindicated.

it is indeed a nice gesture,and the plus is maybe ed will see this and talk to us again