XP MIDI Outputs Problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP MIDI Outputs Problems

Exclamation XP MIDI Outputs Problems

HI, i'm using Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producers Edition to make beats and when ever i start it up it says

"You have not selected any MIDI outputs, You will not be able to hear anything play"

And as it says whenever i try to listen to something it doesn't work...This is the first time i've used this software and i've never had problems like this before!!! Can anyone help me???

Welcome to WinDrivers, Dregs.

Without knowing anything about Sonar 4 or your computer setup, I guess you're looping one or more short MIDI tracks?

Do these articles help?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0.../sonartech.htm
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun0.../sonartech.htm

Thanks Platypus. However this didn't much help me as it was mostly information for configuring things inside Sonar and i think my problem is outside the software.....if that makes sense. I'm actually using Sonar to create beats and edit the beats with synthesizers.

Thanks for the site though it's actually quite helpful.

I still need help fixing this and it's really getting on my nerves...
    I JUST WANNA MAKE MUSIC !!!

i've read somewhere that you can set the MIDI output to your soundcard.....does anyone know how to do this??

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
    Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Edition System Requirements

Windows 2000, 800 MHz, 128 MB, 100 MB hard disk space for full program installation, graphics: 1024 X 768, 16-bit color; Windows compatible MIDI Interface (required to connect to external MIDI devices), Windows compatible sound card (required for audio playback); Recommended: Windows XP, 1.2 GHz or higher, 512 MB, EIDI/Ultra DMA (7200 RPM) or SCSI Hard Drive, graphics: 1280 X 960, 24-bit color or higher; WDM or ASIO compatible sound card.

Note: Windows Media multi-channel audio import is only available on Window XP and not Windows 2000.

Note: MPEG 2 video import/export requires MPEG 2 codecs to be installed. These codecs are available separately from SONAR in other video applications.

Note: SONAR 4 does not support Windows 95, 98, ME, or NT.

http://www.modernbeats.com/cakewalk_...er_edition.php
    Last edited by street1; March 26th, 2006 at 10:41 AM. Reason: ok

Unhappy

I have all of those requirements and it still doesn't work, i don't understand....

If you have a MIDI output device selected in the Sounds... section of Control Panel (eg your soundcard or MIDI interface), you should be able to select that device in the MIDI Output drop-down for each MIDI channel as one of the articles indicates. That device should then play the MIDI data. Make sure the levels in the soundcard mixer are up and not muted for MIDI and whatever device should be playing (eg wave output if you're using your soundcard).

If it still won't fall into place for you, you'd probably be best to Google for a dedicated forum for Sonar, and post there. Someone who uses it themselves would likely be right onto the problem.

Sonar 4

As a Sonar 4 user, perhaps I can help.
    Open Sonar. Select OPTIONS on the tool bar. Select MIDI devices from the cascading menu. and make sure that one of the options is selected. Typically this will either be Midi Mapper or MPU401. In my case I also have a M Audio MIdisport 2 interface as well. Sonar does not always select a MIDI device on its own, and it will not record or play until one is selected.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim
    Last edited by jaimicook; March 27th, 2006 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks everyone, but it still doesn't work. but jaimicook when i get the list for the MIDI devices it has MIDI mapper in it then i click on MIDI mapper and then okay and it comes up with the warning "you have not chosen a MIDI output...blah blah" again.

whats the go?

i just looked in Sound and Audio Devices in control panel and it had something about VIA Audio (WAVE)?? is this the problem???

Here's what you need to do

Sounds like you don't have WDM Midi output device. I had the same problem and here's how I solved it. Go to Options and select Audio from the drop down list. Under "Playback and Recording" change the driver mode from WDM to MME (32 Bit). Then click on "Always open all devices." Click OK. You will get a message saying that you need to close down and restart Sonar for the changes to take effect. Do this and follow the instructions to test the audio output device. When prompted for the midi output device, select the new Midi output device which should be your second option after the Microsoft midi mapper. In my case, it was "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" - I'm using Windows XP. You cannot select Microsoft Midi Mapper as the output device for Sonar. It won't play anything. If you still only see midi mapper as the only midi output device, your aud.ini file may be corrupt. That's a different problem altogether. Follow these instructions I outlined above and you should be rock'n and roll'n in no time.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, finally got the goddam thing to work!!!!! Do you know anywhere that i can get help on using the program, i've had some experience with other programs, this one's a bit tech

Software-specific forums can be helpful, have you seen:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/default.asp

I found your post as a last ditch effort. Thanks IT WORKED. I've been banging my head against the computer and other things for 6 months, off and on trying to solve this MIDI issue. My I.T. friends poured hours into it with no success. Once again - Thanks. Now onto the music!

Glad you were able to find a solution on the forums, Basementmusician.

Welcome to WinDrivers, and don't hesitate to ask if you ever think we may be able to help you further.