[RESOLVED] Windows won't display after installing driver

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows won't display after installing driver

Overclocker

Question Windows won't display after installing driver

This is a very odd problem. I have a crummy older Amptron PII-3300V motherboard. I've reinstalled Windows probably 5 times on it already. I was experiencing a problem with the video card I had in it. Whenever I would install the drivers, I reboot (for Windows to take changes, blah, blah, blah) and then I get a black screen. I figured I had a bad vid card, since this card gave me issues before and I just let it sit in a box forever. So I get a new AGP card. Installed the VIA AGP patch, and drivers. Same thing happens when I boot up. What gives? Bad mobo? Anyone have any ideas? I have one: Don't ever buy a "deal" on mobo thinking you'll be able to put spare parts back to life. I've played around with just about every damn setting in the BIOS, all to no avail...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Kris

PS: It's a crummy BXToo chipset on the mobo.

Ok, your problem is pretty common...just make sure that before you restart from setting up the video drivers, you ALSO set up your MONITOR.....either get drivers for the exact monitor (sounds necessary) or use Plug and Play Monitor for the driver....what's happening is your VDC and MTR aren't quite agreeing on how to display stuff, settings-wise.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092

Question

What about the Refresh Rate?
    Have you tried a lower value before restarting the machine?
    Maybe the monitor just can't work when Refresh Rate is too high.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Overclocker

Lightbulb

Okay guys, thanks for the help. I did try it on a different monitor, which PnP detected correctly, but on this other monitor I was using, I don't think it identified it. Will check into it. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Kris

Overclocker

Question

Now I just get a blinking cursor like it's going to start Windows, but nothing happens after that. It doesn't appear to be a lockup as the Caps Lock and Num Lock will light/unlight when they are toggled. It gives me an error when I reboot a few times and Windows loads that my display settings are improperly configured. Any other suggestions? I wonder if this mobo is any good since I know the cards work in other machines...

Thanks again in advance for your help.
    Kris

Question

That wouldn't be, by any chance, a Trident video card, would it? I see that happen to Trident cards a lot...not really to anything else.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092

Overclocker

No, unfortunately, it's a Nvidia based TNT Vanta card. Cheap, but for the purposes of this machine, it's fine. The other card was a Creative Exxtreme (PCI). Neither card seems to work when the drivers are installed. They will only work when windows uses the standard VGA drivers for them. It's very odd. I've tried taking hardware acceleration down to none, and still I get a blank screen with a cursor in the corner.

Thanks for your help.
    Kris