identifying an S3 card

Thread: identifying an S3 card

Angry identifying an S3 card

I have an S3 3d video card here, an AGP 16MB, but other than that, I'm rather clueless on what the make is exactly, is there any kind've chipset identifier program for S3 video cards out there?

If you're identifying the card just from the S3 stamp on the video chip, and it has no other manufacturer ID on it, look for the number like 86C368 or 86C357 on the chip.

The card will probably work fine with the generic drivers for the chip identified by the last 3 digits. Say it's a 368, find the 368 chipset drivers on:

http://www.s3graphics.com/

dude.. that's precisely my problem, the site has been down for over a week. And there IS no stamp #'s on it.. at least, nothing on the heat sink or the back that would give me the slightest clue. there might be something UNDER the heat sink, on the chip, but I'm understandably reluctant to go cutting anything. I have the ID #'s for my card, 395, 396, 397 is what it lists when i use the debug command for getting the BIOS ID. (I think the BIOS is scrood) with S3 apparently out of business, and their sites all shut down, I can't get ahold of the programs or documentation to figure this out. None of the other S3 sources i've found online have been updated in the last 1 1/2 years.. this is so not cool. Can anyone help me out here?

Have a question for S3? Ask it here!
    Savage Daily News Forum

yep.. tried in there too.. I seem to have been blessed with an esoteric model called the "savage 4 GX 395" that there are no available drivers for outside S3's website.. so unless driverguy announces S3 as a dead board (and by all accounts, it is), and manages to grab all their material and archive it at windrivers.com.. then I'm going to be stuck with my old PCI 4MB video card.