Puzzled

Thread: Puzzled

Unhappy Puzzled

OK...get this...
    I opened my brother in laws old HP Pavillion 3260, to check out the memory for a possible upgrade. I got the numbers I needed, replaced the cover, and the thing WONT WORK!
    It boots up, the hard drive runs, the cdrom tray blinks, but the monitor remains black with the green light on...I have checked...the hard drive IDE, the memory seated correctly, the processor seated correctly, all cables attached correctly, and still no luck...It's an old piece of crap, but the kids still use it...
    Any Ideas?

Try another monitor. Could be coincidence that monitor decided to die at that time. Stranger things have happened.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Are there any beeps? Usually, the motherboard will beep to let you know is say the memory is bad or if there is no signal to the monitor, etc.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

you didn't happen to dislodge the battery or pull the jumper that clears the CMOS, did you? I had a similar experience with a, ahem, HP Pavilion 3585, where I pulled the cover off to check out the components, but the case is so stinkin' small that I had to remove drives and power supply to get to the system board. In all of that commotion I knocked the battery loose and the system refused to do anything but what you have described.

Just for grins, you might try HP's website for Pavilion 3260 Specs.

Also, this following link talks about taking apart the Pavilion 3XXX Series.

Some good info there...

If you lost communications with your monitor, make sure the connector is still is connected and in good shape...no bent pins, etc.

Just a couple of ideas...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Did you take the memory out to get the numbers? If so there is a slight chance you've blown the chips. Try swopping them out. Vague, but who knows?
    Where's Jennie??????

CREAMFIELDS - August Bank Holiday Weekend - Old Liverpool Airport. The dance event of the year.

There could also be an intrusion sensor on the case. Make sure that you placed the cover correctly in order for the intrusion monitor to enable the PC to work.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!