[RESOLVED] Power up Problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Power up Problem

dknk

Resolved [RESOLVED] Power up Problem

I have a Tekram P6-Pro A+ Mainboard/w VIA Apollo Pro 133 Chipset.
    The problem is when the computer starts up it shuts down after about 3 seconds. You can hear the HD's start up then everything powers down. Also when I push the On button on the front of the box it sometimes does not start up. I have to push the on/off switch on the power supply itself a couple of times to get it to start up. I have tried a new power supply (exact same problem continues), re-seated the CPU, unplugged all devices except one HD. It does not get to the point of letting me into the BIOS settings.

Remove everything including the last hard drive to see if you get a post (At the point where the cable goes into the motherboard, not into the harddrive). Reseat/move the ram to another slot see if you get anything. Try another stick of ram.

Also it could be that you are getting a short somewhere in the case. Try a different CPU fan. If all else fails remove the mobo from the case, place it on an antistat surface, hook up a power supply and video card and see if it will post. If not, then I would think it is pointing towards the motherboard as the problem.

littleport(don't ask), ely, cambridgeshire

im thinkin the switch might be the problem. i suspect you are running a ATX power supply and case? i think the ATX switch on the motherboard may need to be re attached to the motherboard. ie: wrong way round. refer to your motherboard manaul or manufacturers schematics. if the switch is ok on the board the switch itself might be faulty.
    you installed windows didn't you?
    i told you if you put windows on your have problems...

I agree with DeaJae.

Sounds like the switch is stuck. One way to check is to pull the cover off, unplug the switch from the mainboard and use a flat-head screwdriver to tap on the power-on connector briefly and see if it boots up ok.
    Sometimes the most difficult problems have the most obvious solutions - they just get overlooked.

dknk

It is an ATX Power supply and case, and the system is 1.5 yrs old. It was powered down at night and the next day it developed this problem. I am thinking the switch may be causing the problem. I have not been able to work on it today but will tonight. Can you buy just a switch or do you need to buy the case? Thanks for all your help...

Talking

I've seen this very recently on a system. Now the fix is so simple that I doubt it'll be the same for you but you may as well give it a check.
    Is you CPU fan pluged into the right conector on the M/B? As when I last saw this the M/B had two CPU fan connectors and if you didn't have one in Fan1 plugh the system did exactly what yours is doing!
    Life is like a box of chocolates. All the best bits get taken by others and you get left with the crap!

Hate when I forget Occam's razor (the simplest answer is probably correct). Yes it does sound like the switch.

dknk

Thanks for all your help.
    I replaced the switch on the case and all is well.