MS 6182

Thread: MS 6182

Post MS 6182

I have an unusual problem with a MSI MS-6182 motherboards. It will not post with a celeron processor. I tried a Celeron 300A, and a Celeron 533 socket 370 via a converter card. No post. The 4 LED's on the mobo get stuck when trying to decompress the BIOS image to RAM. (At least that's what I get from reading them. ) I tried two different motherboards, same thing happened. It will boot and run fine with the PII 450. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Tried different RAM, tried different power supplies. I would really like to use my old celeron 533 instead of buying a new PIII, and I hate having a motherboard in a box. I have to build a computer out of it.

Make sure you do not have the FSB set to 100mhz in the bios.

I can't get to the Bios if it won't post.

Put the 450 back in and check the bios.

I was thinking of doing that...but the 450 belongs to a customer... I don't have it anymore.

Reset the bios through a jumper on the motherboard. That should place the bios back to auto if the fsb was hardset there.

I tried doing that also... I am really running out of ideas. The only other thing I can think of is using a differnt converter card.. maybe that will solve my problem. I am really stumped.

I guess You're using socket370/Slot1 converter. But I've seen two incompatible types of converters - one of them (s370)works only with old Celerons (Mendocino),another one (newer FC-PGA converter) can work with also latest Coppermine Celerons and P3s. Buy new convertor to be sure.

Another possible thing You should have to check: BIOS update. If BIOS too old, some motherboards cann't support newer Celerons with even with Mendocino core (I do not saying even about Coppermine),only P2s and oldely 266,300Mhz Slot1 Celerons (without L2 cashe). I've seen that effect many times. I usually reflash BIOS in another motherboard in that case.

I was thinking about that too. But I'm using an Iwill slot 1 MB with the same converter/Cel 533 and it works without any problems. I've also tried putting a 300A cel (slot1) in the MSI board..and same thing happened. As far as I know the board should run at 66 MHz. Am I mistaken? Are there any jumpers to force it to 66 MHz?

it should run in 66MHz -that's sure.

I'd take another look at the manual and make sure you got all the jumper right.

also try removing all the hardware but the CPU..

it might be some power issue.

Condor is right, MoBo should run at 66Mhz FSB.
    Refer to manual.If it's CPU softset motherboard - clearing CMOS should do the trick.
    But I've seen also weird converters what works well in one motherboard and refuses to work beeing inserted in another.
    That's why keep old P2-233 for testing purposes.

I will get a new converter today. But that doesn't really explain why my Slot1 Cel300 didn't work. But right now I dont' have any more ideas. I believe I tried clearing the BIOS also, but I'm not sure. I'll do it again. However, in the manual it points to I believe J2 as setting the bus frequency to auto or 100. However, it only shows one jumper. My MB has two jumpers next to each other, which is not listed in the manual. They are both shorted. After getting the new card I will try to open them. Does anyone know what the second jumper does?