Floppy problems

Thread: Floppy problems

Exclamation Floppy problems

Well here goes, I have an Asus TUSL2-C mother board with a Pentuim III 1 ghz CPU
    512 megs sdram ( Micron )
    Soundblaster live x gamer
    Asus v7700 deluxe agp 32 meg video card
    Realtek 10/100 nic
    2 30 gig Quantum fireball as drives ATA 100 7200 rpm ( One is 6months old , the other is new )
    LG cd burner ( SLave)
    LG cd rom drive ( Master )
    Enermax 350w PSU
    Mini server case
    Was running Win xp home edition
    I decided to go back to Win ME and return to fat 32 since all my drives were NTFS
    I toss in my Win ME boot disk and when the menu appears , there are no choices , just one menu item, Nothing works
    I reboot with the 3 finger solute, I get the full menu but when I go to use the dowm arrow it locks up , I have to reboot and try again
    I tried another floppy disk , floppy cable, I even pulled all the memory and tried with just one of 3 sticks installed , I still got the same problem, I replaced the floppy drive, same problem
    I have also ecperienced my disk manger boot disk freezing up ( I use this to zero fill drives )
    This is all DOS level stuff, I have seen minor problems in Windows , I went to patch a game I have and I got an error that it could not read the file ( Which was on my second hard drive )
    Any ideas would be appreciated, Is my board messed up ?
    Help

Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Hi Format C. I'm not sure what to say about the WINME boot disk as I've never seen any use for one. Nowadays I only use a 98 bootdisk to load Win95/98. Win98SE and newer boots from the CD. If you're using a Disk Manager like EZ-BIOS or DiskManager you may have to uninstall or disable them before running fdisk to remove the Non-Dos partitions (NTFS). I won't ask why you're dumping WINXP in favour of WINME - must have a reason. :-)
    Also CD Burners generally prefer to be on the secondary master and can get cranky as a slave.
    Don't ask me why. Another thing to check as stupid as it sounds. Did you disconnect the keyboard and mouse and maybe plug them back in backwards? I've seen it a dozen times.

Happy Holidays.
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

i assume you've tried another "boot disk" you know works?

i am not familiar with winme boot disks so dont know what "options" should be shown, but one would assume you can test the pc (if you can get a dos prompt) to see if the hardware is ok or not.

doesn't winme cdrom "boot" or am i confusing it with 98?
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Try booting with your XP CD and use the recovery console to reformat the drive back to FAT32.

MKB Q229716

FORMAT
    format drive : /Q /FS:file-system
    Use this command (where /Q performs a quick format of the drive, drive is the drive letter of the partition to format /FS:file-system specifies the type of file system to use [FAT, FAT32, or NTFS]) to format the specified drive to the specified file system.

If a file system is not specified, the existing file system format is used, when available

BTW I`m sure I`ve read it posted somewhere about previous boot disks not working on newer OSs

Talking

When this problem started I tried another boot disk and got the same thing, I have the upgrade version of Win ME so it does not boot , What was nice about the XP upgrade Cd is that I could boot up off of it
    I prefer to use the same version of fdisk and format.com as the OS I am installing
    I have some pictures of my monitor displaying the half menu but I don't know where to send them
    I am going to contact the store where I bought the mother board

I beg to differ about millenium upgrade disk, I had a me upgrade disc before I upgraded to XP and
    done quite a few instalations, It boots, starts install and then asks for win 98 disc to verify,
    which it reads and tells you to eject, and reinsert me/up disc, and goes on to do a full clean ME install as with your XP upgrade.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Talking

The upgrade CD I have is the promotional upgrade which cost a lot less than the upgrade CD
    Maybe that is the difference between your CD and Mine
    Well I went out and bought the Asus cuv266 and 256 megs of PC 2100 ddr
    No more floppy problems and I got Windows reinstalled fairly quickly , I am going to return the other board for warranty once I find the receipt , I was told I could contact Asus and RMA the board directly
    I appreciate all the help and Happry New year to all !!!!!!