Computer is dead
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer is dead

Post Computer is dead

I have a pc chips 599lmr m/b and when it boots up nothing shows up on the monitor. I have tried a different cpu, memory, monitor. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the onboard video dead or is the bios corrupted? When i turn it on i do not get any bios beeps at all. could the cmos battery be dead? HELP!!

Thanks in advance

Fuzy

You may have done this already but check EVERY connection inside the PC. If it was battery you would see a message. If checking all the cables etc dosnt work then try clearing the CMOS. If that dosnt work then.....
    'We apoligise for the inconvienience' Gods final message to his creations.

disconnect everything from the board except memory and cpu, and try an old pci video card (hopefully u will have one) plug in the speaker and power, then try that, also is the board new or has it been working and then suddenly stopped?
    any more info will help..
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

The board is about ten months old. It was working fine and then one day i came home and the screen was blank. (the computer is always left on) I had to shut off the power and reboot and it worked fine. Then about a week later it happened again but this time on the reboot it will not restart. I have not upgraded or changed anything inside the puter prior to the problems starting. One thing i did find was the cpu fan was not turning. It must have gone bad. I thought I had burned up the processor but when I pulled the processor and put it into another good working machine it booted up fine. So I ruled out a burned up processor. I will be running out today to get a new fan and heat sink.

Thanks Again

Fuzy

This is just a thought, I had a friend who was useing an old PCI graphics card. The PC was quite old and on all the time. His breakdown was similar in that it was 'gradual' and it turned out to be the PCI slot itself, everything else was fine.

possibility that the board is toast if everything else is working ie processor and memmory, as suggested try another video card. hopefully it will work until you can find a new mobo. good luck.

Most likely it's either fried voltage (3,3v)regulator,either somehow erased or damaged BIOS
    chip.
    In first case You should use ISA video card and P54C (non-MMX) CPU. If after that PC started as usually,You should have to resolder that transistor... check voltage regulator's output voltage...

In second case You should try to reflash BIOS chip in another motherboard like I have already described here:

Can I just ask: why an ISA video card?? Dont understand.

If the 3.3 volt regulator is toast chances are the PCI slots won't function or onboard video, thus the need for ISA video card.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

i cant remember but on this particular board, i m not sure whether there is any Isa slots avaidable on the mobo, thus i think the chances are very slim of the actually working again. Good Luck Fuzy, also if ur not sure ISA is an old expansion slot, usually black, and much longer than the PCI slot (which is white).

I tried an isa and still nothing. I did find a small component on the m/b that looks cooked and both of it's legs were no longer soldiered onto the board. I am wondering if it is the voltage regulator. On the chip it says NEC K3296 9zm. Where can you find such a chip? I wonder if the bad cpu fan overloaded it and burned it out. I am also wondering if it just easier and wiser to replace the m/b and upgrade to a new duron or thunderbird. I have found a few combos on pricewatch for about $100 bucks.

Thanks for all the help!

[quote]Originally posted by fuzy:
    I am wondering if it is the voltage regulator. On the chip it says NEC K3296 9zm. Where can you find such a chip? I wonder if the bad cpu fan overloaded it and burned it out. I am also wondering if it just easier and wiser to replace the m/b and upgrade to a new duron or thunderbird. I have found a few combos on pricewatch for about $100 bucks.

Yes, it's voltage regulator. Speaking correctly, it's in fact power MOSFET transistor NEC 2SK3296.
    You do not needs to find exactly same transistor,though. Transistor with similar or even with better parameters can be used instead of that transistor. Here is description of that transistor in Adobe pdf format: www.ic.nec.co.jp/discrete/english/pdf/D14063EJ1V0DS00.pdf
    I usually take them out from faulty motherboards or buy it in local electronic store. I't should cost You something about 2-4 USD.
    Do not hesistate me about possible replacements,if You have similar transistors laying around. If You want,You can order that (or another) transistor from manufacturer as well as free sample

About 100$ for new system - it will be rather cheapo board with low quality - good combos should cost much more...

transistor NEC 2SK3296

[QUOTE=Ruslan]
    Originally posted by fuzy:
    I am wondering if it is the voltage regulator. On the chip it says NEC K3296 9zm. Where can you find such a chip? I wonder if the bad cpu fan overloaded it and burned it out. I am also wondering if it just easier and wiser to replace the m/b and upgrade to a new duron or thunderbird. I have found a few combos on pricewatch for about $100 bucks.

Yes, it's voltage regulator. Speaking correctly, it's in fact power MOSFET transistor NEC 2SK3296.
    You do not needs to find exactly same transistor,though. Transistor with similar or even with better parameters can be used instead of that transistor. Here is description of that transistor in Adobe pdf format: www.ic.nec.co.jp/discrete/english/pdf/D14063EJ1V0DS00.pdf
    I usually take them out from faulty motherboards or buy it in local electronic store. I't should cost You something about 2-4 USD.
    Do not hesistate me about possible replacements,if You have similar transistors laying around. If You want,You can order that (or another) transistor from manufacturer as well as free sample

About 100$ for new system - it will be rather cheapo board with low quality - good combos should cost much more...

I have the same transistor on my board and it has just blown, it looks pretty bad and there is a very strong smell from it. i have tried replacing it with a MOSPEC S10C40C but this didnt work. I also have a CET CEB6030L and a 964 NDP603AL. Do you know if either of these will work. Is there any easy way to get them off the old boards as they seem to be very firmly attached. Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot......

Might want to make a new thread as this one is 2 years old...........

I thought freddy was at it again.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    Might want to make a new thread as this one is 2 years old...........

I thought freddy was at it again.

behave yourself Doc ,,,,i was actually finding this thread more interesting than trch lounge

freddy