[RESOLVED] Good, cheap 815E board?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Good, cheap 815E board?

Lt. Cmdr Klarg

Post Good, cheap 815E board?

I am looking for a good, inexpensive board using the 815E chipset. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I am currently looking at the ECS P6IPAT. Price is right (~$70), but is it a good board? I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

thx!

------------------
    "Of course I'm a Klingon! Why do you think I have this outrageous brow ridge?"

Lt. Cmdr Klarg

Question

Anyone?

------------------

Darren Wilson

QDI Synactix 2E. Very stable, not the fastest of boards but for reliability they are very hard to beat.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

condor

QDI ? I haven't seen a QDI board in years

as for ECS boards - I would avoid any ECS/ PCchips mobo and their other oem brands (amptron, matsonic etc..)

I wouldn't go wit hjust any i815E mobo - make sure you get one that support the Tualatin.

as far as recommendations go:

I would get a gigabyte, msi , intel, epox , aopen if money is a real problem

but nothing is better than Asus or Abit and they are worth the extra $$...

another option:

why don't you get and intel 815EP mobo ?
    yoou can get a very good one for about $100 and add a much better video card (Geforce 2 Mx) for about $45 ..

this combo is much better than any i815E you can buy..

just remeber - the forums are filled with problems from people with "pcchips" pos level mobos - you really don't want to spend $80 on a board just to RMA it a few times, give up and buy a better mobo..

------------------
    Main Entry: Cal·i·for·nia condor (noun), circa 1889
    Etymology: California, state of U.S.
    A large nearly extinct vulture (Gymnogyps californianus) found most recently in the mountains of southern California that is related to the condor of So. America

[This message has been edited by condor (edited October 10, 2001).]

Darren Wilson

Still using QDI boards now in customer builds unless they specify higher price boards. Very few, if any problems.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

Lt. Cmdr Klarg

Well yes, I'm not just looking for an 815. Maybe a better criteria would be that I'm looking for a good Socket370 board that will run a PIII-667.

I'm upgrading a buddy's computer from the above CPU to an Athlon 1.4 and ECS K7S5A(sp?), mainly because of a power supply problem that appears to have fried his motherboard. In lieu of a fee, he has agreed to give me his old processor. I will test the CPU in another PC, and if it works, I will go get the new board.

I was doing some digging and I *am* going to get one that supports the Tualatin. I am currently using an AMD K62 500, so this would be a decent upgrade. An 815EP is probably the way I will go.

------------------

Talking

I would grab the Asus tusl2-c mother board, it supports the Tulation CPU
    Nice rock solid board , Toss in the Asus v7100 ago card and you have a great gaming rig

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Lt. Cmdr Klarg

Yup, I was eyeing the TUSL2-C hungrily. Gotta see if the CPU is OK first.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lt. Cmdr Klarg (edited October 15, 2001).]

Cool

I bought a MSI i815E PRO earlier this year and am most satisified. Been the most stable board I have used in years.

Having the Diagnostic LED system also helps for checking other hardware on too.

------------------
    At the end of the day, it's all fundamental.....

Lt. Cmdr Klarg

Thumbs up

Success!!! Testing of the PIII-667 has been successful

On to the store!!!

------------------

Registered User Commander Klarg's Avatar

Thumbs up

Abit ST6 motherboard procured, and installed, running good. Almost zero trouble performing the upgrade, just some minor issues with re-detecting drivers for the new board after deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM keys. D2X running much smoother now.
    Here comes the revolution; time for the retribution.