[RESOLVED] power button on keyboard

Thread: [RESOLVED] power button on keyboard

bajaforce

Post power button on keyboard

Hello...How do you turn off the power button on the keyboard.I sometimes hit it and it shutsdown.All i want to do is turn it off so the button is not working.I went to powermanagment and i didn't see anything in there...last hope will be to pop the button off...thanks

Andi

You may find it in the bios under power managment reffering to the type of shutdown to assosiate with the off/power button i.e. power down after 4 second hold/soft off/hybernate etc.

phtal

Cool

Try the BIOS under Power Management ACPI or APM settings if your machine has them.

Riteous

Lightbulb

I believe you are referring to a keyboard with special buttons like internet and such, and the power button keeps getting hit right? I haven't heard of anyone being able to change the Keyboard power button settings in the bios but I may just have missed something.
    Didn't your keyboard come with software to enable the special functions? If so, check it for a disable feature. If not, it may be possible to load your keyboard as a standard keyboard and lose the extra functionality (hence, no power button problem). Hope this helped.

------------------
    Why won't this protection guy leave me alone? And what idiot made him a General anyway?!?

x_789

Exclamation

Well just about everyone on this page could be right. It could be a setting in the cmos to have keys set for shut down just like to start it up if its a fancy newer board. Or you have a multifunction keyboard in that case go into control panel and look at the keyboard and see if there is a new tab added for a kbd utilities if it has all the little buttons for internet and all that junk you should have a utility to edit it "Keyboard manager" is one i have seen before go in there and change button to something else or disable it. X

condor

Go to your BIOS and Look for somthing like
    Shutdown or off : "Keyboard 98" or "keyboard"

swith it to "disable"

Odds are your running some third party software to enable your extra keyboard function keys. Uninstall/disable the software and the key will be disabled.

------------------
    "You dumb bastard...it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat!"

condor

In some BIOS (usually Award) the "Keyboard" shut down is in the "Integrated Peripherals" section

------------------
    Computers do exactly as you tell them - not what you want them to do ...

StevePorter

Lightbulb

You could always tape a pop bottle cap over the top of the key...

Boo! Hiss! Stupid answer, I know, but I couldn't resist...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

bajaforce

Angry

Hello everyone.When i got this computer the $4.00 keyboard came with it,no software,hook it up normal,it just has this stupid power button under the delete key next to the enter key,i mite try popping it off..

x_789

My God jsut buy another keyboard so that we can stop having this topic updated !!!!

Riteous

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x_789:
    My God jsut buy another keyboard so that we can stop having this topic updated !!!! </font>
    Here Here! This is starting to become insanely stooopid!

------------------
    Why won't this protection guy leave me alone? And what idiot made him a General anyway?!?

furlong47

On my old keyboard, which was for programming/business and had extra keys, I taped plastic over the macro keys as a guard against bumping them, in such a way that they couldn't be pressed. Would probably work here as well
    (Steve's soda lid example would work great)

------------------
    "True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country."
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

Amateur Radio Callsign KB3FHH

[This message has been edited by furlong47 (edited January 30, 2001).]

bajaforce

Got a new keyboard so i would like to thank everybody for all the answers,but i still would like to know the answer