memory or bios

Thread: memory or bios

Question memory or bios

hi, i have a 233Mhz, 32 Mb computer with an award bios. I had win ME installed, but after an ½ hour the pc is completely stuck. now i have reinstalled win98 back on, but having the same problem. And when i do hardware detect, it also get stuck immediately. does someone knows what the problem is ? memory, motherboard or bios ?
    tnx [email protected]

its probably a driver problem... when you went to 98 you may need updated stuff, depending upon the hardware.

also, check the fans...are they working?

IMHO
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

I would check for CPU overheating problem first.Probably CPU fan rotates slower than it should be. Check it.

Then...
    Check PC in DOS mode - if PC freezes also in DOS mode I'd suspect problem with overheating of motherboard's voltage regulator.

If all working well in DOS mode,pull out all card out of case except for video,CPU and RAM, and try again in this minimal config.

You can also run burn-in memory test like DocMemory test as well for checking memory for possible problems - bad memory also could cause lockups.

I'd say with 99% confidence that this is a HARDWARE DRIVER or RESOURCE CONFLICT problem. Check your Device Manager for any resource conflicts first. Then, pull all the cards except your video as suggested and try putting them back one by one. If you find the culprit this way, it may or may not be as simple as loading new drivers for the device. Many time, you have to manually delete the old driver files from the hard drive or edit the registry, I've run into this NUMEROUS times.

Tony

Thumbs down

Hello, I did FDISK en removed partition and started all over again, from the beginning.
    Win 98 is setup and configured now without the cards wich i don't need right now of course. All this time,about an hour of work there was no problem.
    But then i did hardware detection again, and by the 3th screen, the pc got stuck again.
    So i have the same problem as i had before the formatation....

Tnx for reading my problem....

Sounds like it will be a hardware problem, as a fresh load of windows should not give any software problems.

Test your Ram, try a memory testing program. If that comes back with errors then try swapping your ram around and try running with different strips (if you can get your hands on some) or 1 strip then the other and even in different slots.

Just recently, I found this, Win98 loaded in but when loading Office 2000, IE would illegal op during the install, after another reload it blue screened durning setup. Swapping ram Fixed it and turns out the 128 Dimm was faulty.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Dave