[RESOLVED] Norton Windoctor reports registry error

Thread: [RESOLVED] Norton Windoctor reports registry error

pfleig

Post Norton Windoctor reports registry error

When I run Norton Windoctor or SystemCheck, I continually get a registry error that says the registry entry under: software, microsoft, windows, current version, shared dll's is missing a file: C:Program Files. I know I have this file and when Norton tries to fix it, it still reports the error the next time I boot up and run it again. Any ideas??

do you get any registry errors from windows on boot?
    if not, and windoctor is the only thing reporting it, and the system runs fine, uninstall nortons windoctor.
    #3 1951-2001

Don't you mean "Uninstall Norton WinCRASH?!

If you believe every single problem that Norton reports, you'll end up with a completely blank hard drive. Norton thinks that Windows is an error!

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet!
    Jim & Sue's Free Files | Jim's Modems
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

Cool

1. uninstall Norton
    2. Grasp Norton CD tightly in hand and squeeze until forms taco shape
    3. this cured my registry errors
    4. use a non system hogging AV and utility program like mcafee online
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

pfleig

Cool

Thanks for responding guys!
    I wasn't getting any errors on booting but sometimes the system would hang while booting. I decided to restore nonetheless, thank goodness for PowerQuest. Thanks again for the responses!!

I think Norton is just fine, I dont run Norton Crash guard er I mean wincrasher, When I run the WIndoctor I view the details and use it carefully, I have had it reassociate things wrongly in the past
    I have to be carefull when I run a dual boot set up since it reads the shortcuts wrong for my d drive
    I would not allow Mcafee run on my systems, I have tried their utilites and wound up reformating and thei virus scan loads through dos and slows down the system more than Morton does

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

i was having a bad Norton day sorry! Norton is fine depending on which type of PC you run it on i have been called several times now to fix problems which have been caused by installing on a system with propriety BIOS the worst case having to slick the drive to clear it, also it depends on the knowledge of the user normal family user will find it hard to understand the results of the windoctor scan. as for mcafee i now use the online version and that dosent slow my boot up time any. basicaly you have either been stung by norton or not i have
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

quick joke guys. guy goes into a doctor's office and says to the doc."doc, doc, doc please help me! everytime i lift my arm it hurts. what do I do?" the doctor looks at him and says to the man " well dont lift your arm anymore!" end of story.

enjoy!

------------------
    hey its me again!
    hey its me again!