48bit LBA Support

Thread: 48bit LBA Support

48bit LBA Support

I have just bought a new hard drive for my pc (old one broke), But once installed only 128gb shows up even though it's a 250gb drive.
    I have since discovered that i need 48bit LBA support (gutted), I have updated the bios on my motherboard to the latest version but there is no support for it included.
    I have a Gigabyte GA-8S661-GXMP socket 478 motherboard & i have windows xp home sp2 installed, I have tested xp for 48bit LBA support & it's all set up as it should be.
    Is there a third party driver/software that i can install to provide me with 48bit LBA support for my motherboard ???
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to Windrivers Adsldave

It sounds like you have done the right thing so far...
    Have a look in disk management - right click my computer - manage and double click disk management. Do you have any unallocated space? What drive is it? Have you checked the jumper configuration?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hello NooNoo, I've looked in disk management & i have approx 105gb unallocated space. The drive is a 'Hitachi Deskstar 3.5 250gb'. I'm not sure what my jumper config is at the moment, I will check it out. Although it is the only hard drive in my pc so i presume it has to be the master.

I've just checked my jumper config & as expected it is set as the master. (jumpers on a+b & g+h).

Looks like all is well now, you can create a partition in the un-allocated space or use third-party partition managing software to expand the existing partition out into the unallocated space.

could you suggest a third party partiton software as i've never used any before?, Is there any danger of me losing the data from my drive? should i back it up first?

ok i've found a partition software (partition magic). Will this partition the 'whole' drive (250gb) or will it just partition the 128gb thats currently reconized ???

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    if you have the latest partition magic, you can set it to partition the un-allocated space, then merge it into one partition, if desired. Always back up your data before doing any of this.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I've installed partition magic 8.0 & it worked perfectly, I now have my 105gb space back. Thankyou everyone for your help.