Very wierd

Thread: Very wierd

Banned

Wink Very wierd

Just had a user say all they did was unplug a monitor from their port replicator(IBM T22 Thinkpad). Now all the Program files are temp files, and half of the files on the root of Windows are temp files. Could this be a virus? I am just rebuilding the laptop, because I have backups of all her important files. This is really wierd and new to me, I have never seen this before.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar

Could be, could also just be a gupped HD!!

Please don't let that happen to me. Does sound very wierd keep us posted on the turn out.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I've never heard of anything like this. Have the renamed files kept their original size?

Doubt it's a random occurance (HD failure, static discharge or power spike), as that would definitely not rename files with a 3-letter extension Windows would recognize

I say virus. Just because your Windows folder and apps were fouled up. Take a look <a href="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllp.yai.html" target="_blank">here</a> to see if it fits your situation.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Are the icons the same or have they changed as well?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Banned

I just rebuilt her machine, I had most of her stuff saved so it was no big deal. She is a top VP so I had to work very fast with whatever I did. Don't realy know what it was, but I got to rebuild it my way. Stupid boss(2000 miles away) won't let me build a new image, I am convinced that all of the corporate images are full of bugs, virus's and everything thing else that can be bad. Oh well, contract will be up soon.

Banned

That referenced virus was not it. Almost the entire Prgram folder was renamed temps, as well as a big chunk of Windows. Oh well, laptop is running like a champ now, I just hope I never see that again.