Removal of network password

Thread: Removal of network password

Question Removal of network password

I know I'm gonna get bashed for this later but how do you delete the user password in Windows 98? My brother did something and everytime the PC starts it asks for a password. Via Windows 98 very lack security, you can hit cancel and the PC will boot regardless.
    Well, I tried to delete it through the control panel and it acts as if there is no password and asks me to if I want to create one. I don't want to create a password, I want to delete it so that I can just boot up into windows regularly.

P.S.-I don't have any networking cards or anything hooked up to the PC. TIA...
    user: "I'm having problems settting up my laptop. Can u help me?"
    me: "Sure, no problem"
    user: "Ok, let me open the box up"

Go to control panel, open the network icon and choose from the drop-down list "windows logon"

Hope this helps.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Right click on Network Neiborhood and click properties.

Change Client Logon from Logon to Microsoft Networks to Windows Logon.

Login with a blank password.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Perform a find for *.pwl and delete all entries. Next time it boots the logon screen will show up with the user name. If you leave the password blank and hit OK, you won't get the logon screen again.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin

Question

I've tried going to the control panel and changing the primary logon to windows logon. It didn't work. I've also tried a search for *.pwl files, which also didn't work. Does anyone have anymore suggestions?
    user: "I'm having problems settting up my laptop. Can u help me?"
    me: "Sure, no problem"
    user: "Ok, let me open the box up"

[quote]Originally posted by da_grinch:
    <strong>I've tried going to the control panel and changing the primary logon to windows logon. It didn't work. I've also tried a search for *.pwl files, which also didn't work. Does anyone have anymore suggestions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Under Passwords in control panel, there is a tab for Profiles, or something like that. You should find an option that states (this is paraphrased), "All users use the same settings". If this option is not selected, then the system is setup to use profiles, and may be what your brother changed. Change it back, reboot, and use the other’s advise in combination, you should eliminate the problem.

I have silly users that set them up when they log on through other people's machines, and can't remember them, so, I log on to the network, then when it asks for a windows password, I hit (ctrl+esc) I think ( might be something else- haven;t done it for a while ) anyway, it lets you run a program, run Notepad, open c:\windows\system.ini, scroll down to password list, leave that line in and delete the paths to the password files (you can delete them later) and save, now there is no windows password for that username, hit enter and your in.