[RESOLVED] Win98 SE, SCSI DVD & Hollywood Problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win98 SE, SCSI DVD & Hollywood Problem

Pushkin

Win98 SE, SCSI DVD & Hollywood Problem

My computer with CLEAN install of Win98 SE hangs EVERY time I try to play DVD from Pioneer 303/Hollywood Plus (quite common and heavily tested DVD couple, hein?). Beleve me, I ve tried a lot of stuff - swapping PCI slots, three versions of MCI drivers, memory settings, every possible SCSI ID...
    My config is a PIII 500 128 MB RAM, asusP2B-F, all SCSI on 2940U2W, HD is LVD IBM everything with latest firmware. The only weak point is Matrox Millenium 4 Mb (4 years old)... Any ideas?

Note
    Check to see if the SCSI host adapter's IRQ conflicts with another device. Also check Cabling and termination. This is a longshot, but seems to me I remember reading of a tech who had a similar problem. The tech finally discovered that the power supply couldn't handle the extra power surge when CD-ROM was accessed.

Note

Pushkin
    SCSI chain is the first thing I checked... As for IRQ - yes, it does look like IRQ conflict, but I've tried reserving IRQ's, desabling COM/USB ports, moving IRQ's, removing all my cards I could remove (like NIC) - the result is always the same.
    FGGRrrrzkHZX!!!!

Did this setup work before you installed Win98 SE? have you tried OSR 2.1 or Win98?

Pushkin
    Aha!!! Well, I'm starting to understand what's going on... Actually, I can get my DVD work flawlessly if... I remove SB Live from my machine! Hmmm... no IRQ conflict whatsoever, tried different slots, tried with W95, W98SE... same result.
    .....help.....
    ..please..