[RESOLVED] Win98-SE Shutdown Problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win98-SE Shutdown Problem

Hardly Woking

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win98-SE Shutdown Problem

Is there a driver for the shutdown problem for Win98-SE where it hangs at "This machine is shutting down"... I have to turn it off manually, then on the next startup, scandisc runs. I can never get a clean shutdown/restart. This problem doesn't happen on every single shutdown... maybe 50% of the time on my machine... more on some, less on others.

Thanks boys and girls.

MacGyver

Lightbulb

Visit http://www.windrivers.com/servpack/win98.htm and download the shutdown patch.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS11

Hardly Woking

Gracias

Are there any patches available for Windows 98 (not SE) that refuses to shut down every time?

condor

things I've found to be helpful in shutdown problems

1. Msconfig - advance - change the setting of "disable shutdown" (will disappear if you install the ms-patch)

2. reinstall video drivers (especially ATI's)

3. Update BIOS

4. BIOS Power Management settings..
    (different settings for different boards)

5. Windows Power Management settings (disabled !)

6. disable USB interface (especially in Intel 815ea Mobo (bios P7 and lower) and 98se - it seems when windows tries to shutdown it looks for USB devices to shutdown as well and if it doesn't find any - it hangs

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

go here http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...tro&default=11 and search for win98 shutdown. This is a well covered topic in this forum.

------------------
    She may have only been a prostitute, but she had the prettiest face I ever came across