[RESOLVED] Vxd and Vmm Errors Galore

Thread: [RESOLVED] Vxd and Vmm Errors Galore

Wurny

Thumbs down Vxd and Vmm Errors Galore

I'm getting vxd and vmm errors coming out my ying here...tons of them, even when the machine isn't in use, when its been used for a while and you turn the monitor off and go do something else, you come back and you have like 6 vmm and vxd errors sitting on your screen...what causes this, I need serious help with this one...tried the format thing already...and the virtual memory thing..what else could it be?

EzLam

Thumbs up

go to http://www.mcs.net/~revolutn/win98_vxd_fix.htm

you will get your problem fixed.....

Wurny

Thumbs down

I did the vxd patch, didn't do a thing but cause even more errors...thanx for trying.

Thornhkb

Question

I had same problem this week when I installed a new hard drive. Had to reinstall windows 98 se three times then it stopped.

I missed any earlier info about your system.

What processor, graphics card, mouse and motherboard have you got?

Is the system overclocked? When did the problem start (after installing any new bits)?
    What does this button do?

Wurny

Amd k6-2 450, 128 dimm, 16mb gigabyte banshee agp, logitech keyboard, mouse, gigabyte 5aa motherboard...think the problem may be heat..could this be? its not overclocked its all running at what it should be...but the processor on the mb is located way up near the floppy and hd, and is blocked by alot of cables in the way, not much I can do about this but maybe install another case fan...could heat be the problem?

malooga

Exclamation

This same kind of thing happened to me on a brand new machine. Drove me nuts!!! Turned out to be a bad ram stick. Try taking one or the other out, or if you only have one, replacing it. Worked for me.

The motherboard may have a temperature guage for the chip.
    If you leave the machine running for a while (say about an hour) then reset and go into BIOS. On my bios it's under chipset features.
    If the temp is anywhere over about 50 degrees, then it's running too hot. Some say over 40 is too high.

If you can get another memory stick, then swapping that out would show if the 128 stick is faulty.

Last but not least, do a clean reinstall of win98 and the latest drivers for all the hardware.

If it was shop bought, bring it back. If it's a self build then you're going to have to find a friendly tech to lend you spares

Wurny

If I had another stick of ram that would be be great, but all I have is the 128 in there, and I am a tech and its built by me...but this only started happening after leaving the machine on for periods of time..and an AMD K62 450 can handle about 75F at the most...anything higher then it would burn out I have been told...and it is a fresh install of Windows and everything...so heat I beleive or the stick of ram can be my only problem I beleive

I'm european, so I'm talking degrees centigrade.

You could [cough] borrow a stick of RAM from work / a clients machine just to test the system.
    It is running win98, because 95 has some problems with amd K62s running over 350MHz.

Wurny

Well, think I found the problem, took the case off the machine and so far, no errors..so I beleive it was heat...Im hoping it was anyway...will continue testing it to see if that is what the problem was...thanx for all the help

If it is heat toss in a front case fan my cpu runs at about 44 celsuis and I have no problems, maybe the cpu fan is not spinning fast enough so the little bugger just heats up
    I am running an AMD k62 400 mhz on an Asus p5a-b super 7 board I have taken the time to make sure all the cables are tied out of the way so my cpu can breathe , I think the worse part of PC building is the ribbon cables, you have to plan the routing of them
    If you can tie thos cables away from the cpu heat sink area , and make sure that little fan is spinning ok, then grab a cae fan and slip it in the front and you heat problems should be cured

------------------
    Format c:
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )