K guys Asus A7M266-D Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K guys Asus A7M266-D Problem

Post K guys Asus A7M266-D Problem

Here I go....

I just got my mobo back which the first one died and I had to return it, any who heres the problem...

Installed a Single AMP MP 2000+
    Installed a Single PC2100 KINGSTON VALUE 256MB RAM
    Installed two IBM 40GB DRIVES (one has WINXP)
    Insatlled a dvd drive (pioneer) and a cdrw

I have the board set to jumperless

I turn on the machine it loads up then blue screens when it trys to load winxp...Thats ok since im going from one machine t another. I getout the WINDOWS XP cd and pop it into the cdrom, I boot up the machine... I get a message Hit any key to boot from cdrom blah blah ... I hit the any key (ok ok the space bar) it trys to load the cdrom and boot the windows xp setup, thing is you see a fash of text then the screen goes black.

I have not updated the bois yet, which I will tonight. Im also having a problem with it somtimes booting up. Sometimes I have to disconnect a drive or fan so it can boot. (humm 430 watts not enouph?)

And ideas?

thanx
    -Daemon

Well looking at asus's site I wounder if I need to get another power supply, they said if the power supply is not the correct voltage and cannot hold the load then I will have problems loading and booting the system. I emailed them asking what was recomended for this mobo

Firstly, what brand & model PSU is it?

Secondly, what video card are you using and what settings are being used in the BIOS (i.e. AGP Aperture, Driving Force, AGP Type (1x 2x 4x?),etc)

Also what HSF are you using with the CPU & what temp is BIOS reporting upon startup after a couple of minutes?
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Firstly, what brand & model PSU is it?

Secondly, what video card are you using and what settings are being used in the BIOS (i.e. AGP Aperture, Driving Force, AGP Type (1x 2x 4x?),etc)

Also what HSF are you using with the CPU & what temp is BIOS reporting upon startup after a couple of minutes?

Enermax 430 watt PSU (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/eneg431watpo.html)
    Geforce3 Ti-500
    AGP = 4X
    AGP APERTURE = 64M

TEMP in bois = 32C

Try dropping it to AGP 1x for installation (as you don't need the extra video bandwidth for installing Windows) and try setting the AGP Driving Value to EA.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

quote:
    Try dropping it to AGP 1x for installation (as you don't need the extra video bandwidth for installing Windows) and try setting the AGP Driving Value to EA.

sweet ill try it after work tonight hope it works, if anyone else has ideas please post

thanx
    -Daemon

well im back

I did the changes you told me DW, but they didnt work, I got out a old pci trio card wihich Then got into the Windows Xp setup, after it loads the setup it will blue screen. I tryed using windows 2000 pro and windows 2000 setup says try to start windows then freezes... Do you think I need to format the drives before try setup again?

Yes it worth formatting the HDD's before you do the installation. Also try moving the slot that teh memory is in as I have seen this error before if the RAM isn't being read correctly (or even change the DIMM if possible).

Also make sure that you have the 1006 BIOS for the board to support the CPU that you are using (although it makes no reference o the MP 2000+ CPU's only the XP 2000+ & 2100+)

quote:
    Yes it worth formatting the HDD's before you do the installation. Also try moving the slot that teh memory is in as I have seen this error before if the RAM isn't being read correctly (or even change the DIMM if possible).

Also make sure that you have the 1006 BIOS for the board to support the CPU that you are using (although it makes no reference o the MP 2000+ CPU's only the XP 2000+ & 2100+)

humm I have a MP 2000+

I was trying to flash the bios but aflash the program the book says to use keeps saying insufficient memory then crashes...Wonder if need a windows 98 boot disk...this was using DOC DOS.

Ill see how it goes tonight after work

humm bad news....

I updated the bios, and removed all partitions from the hard drive. I disabled shadowing. Everytime I try to install XP or 2000 I goes through loading then when it hits Starting windows ... it blue screens. XP has a IRQ_in_out and 2000 doesnt say anything

any ideas?

xp blue screen error

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

DW, Windows XP is now installing, this is how I got it to work

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314063

Its a known problem so m$ had a solution.

Cant say it worked 100%, since it is still installing

humm didnt work, everytime I try to load windows (after install) it blue screens, I contacted ASUS by phone and they didnt know what was wrong, they said they were going to call me back after the find out what was wrong

Can you try another CPU to see if it is the MP?

nope I have a 1.2 ghz amd tbird but I dont think it will work on it

I think I found the problem... the AGP port is bad..

If I use the PCI video card and boot into windows and see the menu to go into safe mode or normal boot, and I select safemode it locksa up at the agp.sys driver..

If I take out the pci video card, and install a agp card, then boot the system the screen is blank but its in the menu to slect safe mode or normal boot and I can select safemode from there but just cant see anything until it trys to boot nto safemode then crashes and blacks out

k heres an email I got back from asus

Hello just wanted to follow up with you reguarding the blue screen errors
    you've been getting. According to my resources, it has been brought to my
    attention that you must you certified and tested memory for this
    motherboard. Some suggestions of memory you may want to try is Corsair
    Micro, Unigen, SmartM, and Mushkin. If you could try one of those brands of
    memory it should resolve your problem...If you have any questions then
    please let me know. Thanks for calling ASUS.